UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: aja91 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308240  
Subject: Re: HELP-$11k in CCDEBT Date: 5/25/2001 10:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
This is my first time on the site and I love it!!

I need help---my husband and I have accumulated $11k in credit card debt on top of about $8k in student loans I am paying $250.00/month on and will be until June 2004. We recently had a beautiful baby girl and I am only working part-time to cut out any daycare costs. We own a home and just refinanced at 7.125% for 30 years. We also are at the end of a lease on our vehicle and need to buy a new vehicle and need 4wd because of the location of our house. I feel totally overwhelmed - we are able to meet all of our monthly bills, but I'm starting to feel like the cc debt will never be gone. Should we take out a personal loan or consolidate all of our debt. We both contribute to 401(k) and/or deferred comp. plans - should we stop those contributions - I am 27 and my husband is 30??

We really want to start a College Fund for our Daughter who is 7 months old - but realistically we know we need to get out of debt first!!

Taking these in order:
I'm assuming the $250/month until June 2004 is just the student loan payment. You're probably paying about the same monthly on your credit cards.

OK, here are my suggestions:
(1) Put the credit cards away. Get a plastic bowl, fill with water, put cards in, and stick it in the freezer. If you are worried about emergencies, take a card with no balance out with you (leave the others in the freezer) and put it in your shoe. This will do two things. First, it will make you assess if it's truly an emergency. Second, it will likely remind you with each step how much of a pain credit cards can be. :-)

(2) Get some money into a savings account, maybe $500-$1000. This is a small emergency fund. If something that's a true emergency (medical trauma, loss of transportation) occurs, this is where you go first. If the car breaks down, use this to get it fixed, not as a down payment on a new car. Scrounge any penny you can; empty your change into a jar each day, take your lunch to work, park in a cheaper lot or use public transportation, anything to free up money.

(3) If you haven't already, set up a budget. I wrote up a description of how I do it (http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15000513), but use something that enforces spending discipline best for you. You need to make sure that you include your minimum debt payments and extra money (as much as you can) for debt reduction.

(4) Use the debt reduction money to start knocking down the credit card debt. If you have multiple cards, I'd recommend going after the lowest balance card first (that is, if the $11k is split up $2k, $4k, $5k, go after the $2k card first). When that is paid off, take the debt reduction money plus the minimum on the first card and go after the next one. Keep going until all of the cards are paid off. If you get offers for low rate balance transfers, take advantage of them, but cancel the old cards. If you get raises, increase your debt reduction fund first.

(5) Regarding the car: first, what's the buyout to purchase the current car? You mentioned buying a new car and a requirement for 4WD due to your location. Can you find a used 4WD vehicle? It doesn't sound like you need an expensive car payment right now, so these are options to explore.

(6) For now, you need to get these other pieces resolved before you start saving for college. Your daughter will probably prefer that her parents are in solid financial shape rather than living deeply in debt.

Hope these suggestions help.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Why Should Berkshire Hathaway Survive?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement