UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: yddeyma Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42338  
Subject: This is not normal Date: 12/4/2012 7:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We are a sick household. This is not normal for us. I had allergies that had started to escalate prior to kids, but didn't think much of it. The year after DD1 was born, I had 7 sinus infections. DS2 was born 13 months ago and I have had a head cold/allergy symptoms for the ENTIRE year. This can't be normal.

I've been seeing the allergist who essentially told me since I was breastfeeding even if we did fancy testing to figure out what was going on, it was unlikely I'd be able to take any of the "good drugs". Despite that I've been on Zyrtec and two nose sprays constantly. I've been on sudafed the past month straight (I HATE sudafed, it keeps me awake and makes me feel high).

Fast forward to this past week and the ENT/allergist has recommended allergy testing, mostly to rule it out. He really thinks that my symptoms are just one cold after another, caught from my little germ-y kids who bring it home from daycare.

My DH has had more tonsil infections this year than ever. But my DD (3) has only had one or two colds and my DS (1 yr) has just had a couple of ear infections and the flu.

I feel like our household is "sick" and that there must be a "cause" I can eliminate. Has anyone else's doc told them that this is just a part of sending kids to daycare? I find this very hard to believe....
Print the post Back To Top
Author: geodebt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42003 of 42338
Subject: Re: This is not normal Date: 12/5/2012 12:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I was sick almost my entire pregnancy with DD#2 (almost 8 mo and still BFing too). My body was apparently too busy to fight anything off.

I do notice that whatever the kids bring home from daycare DH and I get it like 10x worse then them. Maybe you need to do a good sanitation of the house/car... (not saying your house isn't clean). Clorox wipes on all the frequently touched things.. door nobs, toys, light switches, phones, bathroom... etc. We do this at where I work when it seems we are all passing everything to each other. I also do it at home when the illness start to pass from one to the next (maybe too late).

I do know that all the folks I work with who have kids in daycare are sicker than evneryone else. Are you getting enough sleep (cause I know I'm not!!). I am on my 2nd viral infection that is likely to turn into a sinus infection in three weeks, coupled with the stomach flu on Monday.

What symptoms do you have? I had post nasal drip for quite a while until i figured out it was caused by acid reflux.

Not sure if I helped any but hope you feel better.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42004 of 42338
Subject: Re: This is not normal Date: 12/5/2012 12:45 PM
I would look at your home. Has anything changed... is it possible there's a leak behind the wall... have you done mold tests... anything?

When my kids started daycare I got stomach viruses more often than I'd ever had them before. I got more sick from that than I did the morning sickness!!!

But not the upper respiratory stuff. That sounds environmental. Is there some way you can rule THAT out?

GSF

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42005 of 42338
Subject: Re: This is not normal Date: 12/5/2012 4:34 PM
DS2 was born 13 months ago and I have had a head cold/allergy symptoms for the ENTIRE year. This can't be normal.

I don't know your local, but here in FlyOver country, many a doctor told many a patient that this past year was just super bad for allergies. It was a doooooozy. Honestly at one point I think we should have just had a big bowl in the lunch room, where everyone threw in whatever allergy meds they had and you just took whatever you came across. Pharma Party!

Everyone. Sniffle sniffle sniffle, antibiotics for sinus infections, back to sniffling and watering eyes and OMG MY MOUTH IS SO DRY FROM THE DECONGESTANT.

I feel like our household is "sick" and that there must be a "cause" I can eliminate. Has anyone else's doc told them that this is just a part of sending kids to daycare? I find this very hard to believe....

So all that said - I would check for mold, as already mentioned. It can really do a number on a household. As for kids and daycare? GAWD the nasty bugs they can bring home. From pink eye to "intestinal issues" the likes of which aren't appropriate for mixed audiences. <SHUDDER>

Add also: you are busy, yes? So likely you start not feeling well and...well....ignore it for a day or two and hope it goes away, yes?

So combine the three - kids in daycare + bad allergy season + less-than-100% self care and what do you have?

*sniffle*

impolite

Author: yddeyma Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42006 of 42338
Subject: Re: This is not normal Date: 12/5/2012 5:49 PM
I have thought about mold testing, but am not really sure how to go about it. There seem to be a lot of different ways, everything from a variety of home test kits to professional testing. I live in a rural area and don't have many resources for getting professionally done. Has anyone tried a home test kit and can recommend one?

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42007 of 42338
Subject: Re: This is not normal Date: 12/6/2012 2:56 AM
the only thing I will say about mold testing is - Once you KNOW you have it, you HAVE to document it and/or be prepared to do some mold remediation when you sell your house.

This can be $$$.
I "know" there is mold in my 150 yr old house,but I will NOT get that documented.

peace & just FYI
t

allergic to my own house

Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42008 of 42338
Subject: Re: This is not normal Date: 12/6/2012 1:47 PM
Recommendations: 1
Another angle to consider - if your household has been very fortunate so far to be reasonably illness-free, and suddenly you introduce a new source of germs / exposure, you might actually be more susceptible to colds than others. Your defense system doesn't have all the antibodies that others (who have a history of being more sick, over time) might.

So it could be nothing more than a case of the numbers catching up to you. It's almost as if you were overdue for all the colds you DIDN'T have for all those years, and now you get to have them all at once. Lucky you! :)

IOW, mold testing is not necessarily a bad idea, if you have reason to suspect it, but it may also just be "life happening".

Best of luck, hope you all feel better soon!

Author: yddeyma Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42009 of 42338
Subject: Re: This is not normal Date: 12/7/2012 8:02 AM
What's bad is that for a hobby I tutored prior to starting a family. And I got my fair share of colds that year, but nothing like this. I had felt that being a tutor for small kids inoculated me to the worst stuff, but obviously not.

As of now, DS (1yr) is on Day 5 of the flu, I am on day 3. My mom, who came to help out, is now on Day 1. My husband is not feeling great either. And we've ALL had flu shots. Luckily the 3 yr old is doing fine.

What do you do when all the adults in the household are sick?

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42010 of 42338
Subject: Re: This is not normal Date: 12/7/2012 9:09 AM
Recommendations: 9
What do you do when all the adults in the household are sick?

Hunker in with a remote, forget about schedules and eating healthy, and just pray your stock of chicken nuggets in the freezer doesn't run out.

impolite

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement