Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
This is one of those situations where I agree that the market should decide. Otherwise we are privatizing the gains, and socializing the risks. Plus it encourages further ill-advised development, compounding the risk (not only to taxpayers, but also to people who die in the floods because they built someplace that could be flooded).

Consider New Orleans. We should have abandoned most of that city. Used the monies to relocate people instead of rebuilding and making vain attempts at fortifying the "defenses". NO is below sea level (or most of it is), and it's in a place where it is guaranteed to have more large hurricanes ever few years. It will be destroyed again**. If someone really (really!) wants to live there, fine. If they can afford the insurance, more power to them. A lot of people died there, and one could argue that cheap insurance that encouraged development was a factor.

1poorguy

**I won't repeat my rant on this. But due to a combination of factors, this really isn't in doubt. It's just a matter of time.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement