UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1976608  
Subject: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/21/2013 10:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
First sporting game in New England city since last Monday's deadly attacks
snip
"The Red Sox paid an emotional tribute to the people of Boston this afternoon in a moving pregame ceremony at Fenway Park, the first time since last Monday's deadly terrorist attacks that killed three and left more than 180 wounded.
Designated hitter David Ortiz exclaimed 'this is our f***ing city' to rapturous cheers, and some tears, after a moving video, encapsulating the horror and heroism of the past few days, played on the big screen.
Proud Bostonians could be seen watching the game, many of them clutching American flags. The city used the significant sporting event to honor the victims and offer gratitude to the police, firefighters and medical personnel as well as strangers who risked their lives to save others after the senseless attacks."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312182/Boston-bombi...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872443 of 1976608
Subject: Re: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/21/2013 10:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Love Big Papi.

Met him once in a Tokyo hotel, when the Red Sox opened the season against the A's in the Tokyo Dome.

Bought two new Red Sox hats Friday. B proud.

Sox fan since '67. Saved my paper route money to buy $2 bleacher seats.

Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872451 of 1976608
Subject: Re: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/21/2013 11:58 PM
Recommendations: 1
Love Big Papi.

Met him once in a Tokyo hotel, when the Red Sox opened the season against the A's in the Tokyo Dome.

Bought two new Red Sox hats Friday. B proud.

Sox fan since '67. Saved my paper route money to buy $2 bleacher seats.

I like baseball above all other sports, but don't follow the game as I once did.

The tribute had to be very exciting to say the least especially if you were there.

I'll never forget the Brewers vs the Reds game in Milwaukee, April of 2001. It was opening night and the very first game being played at the new Miller Park Stadium. President Bush threw the ceremonial first pitch and the Eagle 'Challenger' a non-release bald eagle did a free flight around the dome stadium.

To top it all off, tickets for that game were very hard to come by and big money was being paid for tickets sold by season ticket holders. My son entered my name (plus other family names) for a ticket raffle by a local radio station giving away tickets for the game. My name was drawn, so the whole family got to go to the game.

Oh...Brewers won, 5-4. :)

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872459 of 1976608
Subject: Re: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/22/2013 8:36 AM
And the FCC has approved this message with no fines being given to the networks who didn't bleep it.

Their reason..."It came from his heart".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fcc-blesses-red-sox-pl...

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872461 of 1976608
Subject: Re: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/22/2013 8:59 AM
I was thinking about this.

The game is no longer shown on broadcast television.

You either get it on cable, NESN for the red sox, or you get it on MLB.TV.

Does the fcc have authority anyway?

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872467 of 1976608
Subject: Re: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/22/2013 9:45 AM
Does the fcc have authority anyway?

They think so...Personally, I don't have cable I have satelite TV, so the channels you listed come to me over the airwaves. So I'd think that the FCC probably has authority over those.

Plus if it was said over the radio, which the FCC does have authority over that. Just ask Howard Stern.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/evolution-cable-television

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872472 of 1976608
Subject: Re: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/22/2013 10:08 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312182/Boston-bombi......

How funny that you go all the way to London to get Boston news.

Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872475 of 1976608
Subject: Re: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/22/2013 10:25 AM
Recommendations: 2

Only because I am bypassing the liberal LSM that can't print the truth.

What's your take on the prez letting a terrorist attack happen on his watch?

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872485 of 1976608
Subject: Re: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/22/2013 11:16 AM
Recommendations: 2

Funny or sad that London is more trusted for US news than most of our sources.

Author: mbarr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872491 of 1976608
Subject: Re: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/22/2013 11:37 AM
Recommendations: 3

Most people here get their Boston news from Al Jazeera.

Author: Rightime Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872514 of 1976608
Subject: Re: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/22/2013 1:02 PM
some games are
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/schedule/broadcast/index.jsp?c_...

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872550 of 1976608
Subject: Re: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/22/2013 3:17 PM
That game wasn't a national game. I agree if it had been the fcc would have jurisdiction.

But if you have cable or even satellite I don't think that you are considered public airwaves.

I think of Howard Stern who was under the fcc's thumb until he went on satellite radio.

If the viewer has to descramble the signal then I don't think there are the same restrictions.

It's also interesting that I heard that the fcc commissioner is on his way out too.

It was a cool move. Though I am glad my kids were not watching papi live.

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1872552 of 1976608
Subject: Re: 'This is our f***ing city!' Date: 4/22/2013 3:23 PM
The daily mail was extremely prolific on this story.

Story after story. Angle after angle. They must have had a dozen people reporting from Boston.

And photos! They had photos on Saturday night that the globe and herald didn't have till the next day.

It might say something about how newspaper reporters have not been as "pink slipped" on UK as they have in the US.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement