Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
This is probably true, which could be a big selling point for the PS4 if they can get some good titles early on.

Yeah, that's the big thing. Despite Kineckt selling well on the 360, it seems like there weren't that many games that really made a good use of it. Even when MSFT was pushing Kinect for the XBone, it seems like they focused on things other than actual games (and it certainly wasn't a big focus this week at E3). And it's probably why the Wii U isn't doing that well, as well, since I don't know that developers have found really good uses for the tablet controller for it.

Morpheus being attached to the PS4 has good and bad points. Good: you know there's an audience of millions who at least have the console you can market to. Bad: the number of PS4 users with a Morpheus will be less than 100%, so any Morpheus game you develop will be somewhat limited. (This was one argument I made against the original Kinect for games development -- something I thought they'd avoided with the XBone, but they've now re-introduced the same problem with the Kinect-less XBone).

Oculus has the advantage that all games developed for it can be used by all Oculus-owners (unless they introduce different models with different features). But, many developers will probably sit out the Oculus until they see how sales are (chicken / egg, I guess).

Holo deck seems pretty far out there still.

I would have thought so, too. But with what they're doing with holograms now (e.g., Michael Jackson on stage), I could see us being only a few years from a high-end entertainment complex (possibly in Dubai or Vegas) that introduces the concept. Obviously, not as advanced as the holodeck of the 24th century (not solid interactions, limited "environments", etc.), but they have 300+ years to get that far. :)

I also thought I had read something in the past few weeks about some lab developing helmet-less VR, but I may be mis-remembering.

dsbrady
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement