UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58779  
Subject: This is simply a new low Date: 1/21/2010 5:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
& a disaster for our democracy. I can hardly believe it:

Breaking News Alert
The New York Times
Thu, January 21, 2010 -- 10:11 AM ET
-----

Supreme Court Rejects Campaign Spending Limits

The Supreme Court has ruled that corporations may spend
freely to support or oppose candidates for president and
Congress, easing decades-old limits on their participation in
federal campaigns.

The court on Thursday overturned a 20-year-old ruling that
said corporations can be prohibited from using money from
their general treasuries to pay for campaign ads. The
decision almost certainly will also allow labor unions to
participate more freely in campaigns and threatens similar
limits imposed by 24 states.

The justices also struck down part of the landmark
McCain-Feingold campaign finance bill that barred union- and
corporate-paid issue ads in the closing days of election
campaigns.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/21/us/AP-US-Supreme-...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22875 of 58779
Subject: Re: This is simply a new low Date: 1/21/2010 5:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sorry, I see this has already been discussed, but maybe it ought be in the larger citizen community discussions.

I just think that the majoriyu have neither an interest, nor perhaps a grasp of what this will result in.

The GOP must be just giddy.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22889 of 58779
Subject: Re: This is simply a new low Date: 1/21/2010 9:18 PM
A 'win' for our democracy.

The Supreme Court upheld the First Amendment Rights of corporations, under the Constitution, to express their positions by using their own money to support candidates or issues.

Corporations have 'rights' just like individuals.

http://www.capitalism.org/faq/corporation.htm

"The laws underlying corporations are based on objective facts. That is, the basis of a corporation are the rights of the individuals who form it. Rights are not fictional; and neither are the laws that a corporation must abide by. These laws are neither intrinsic in reality, nor are they subjective and a matter of whim: they are objective facts that must be discovered (deduced from the basic principles while inducing the new relevant facts) within a framework of rights.

The laws governing a corporation are simply the standardization and explicit recognition of the application of individual rights by the government, i.e. the laws protecting the right to free speech are not "legal fictions" created by the government, but are laws based on the this right."

- - --

"Government's job is not to regulate corporations and manage their affairs, but to protect their rights, just as they would any other member of society. Government's job is to treat a corporation no different than any other citizen, granting it no special favors "

-- - - -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation

"A corporation is an institution that is granted a charter recognizing it as a separate legal entity having its own rights, privileges, and liabilities distinct from those of its members.[1] There are many different forms of corporations, most of which are used to conduct business.

Corporations exist as a product of corporate law, and their rules balance the interests of the management who operate the corporation; creditors who loan it goods, services or money; shareholders who invest their capital; the employees who contribute their labor; and the clients they serve. "

"Despite not being natural persons, corporations are recognized by the law to have rights and responsibilities like actual people"
- - - -

Of course, the libs are now unhappy that they can't muzzle folks from 'speaking'.......in lib land, all dissent is 'not allowed'...look to Russia...to China and the current internet fiasco...to Cuba...to Venezuela.

5-4 decision, and apparently Sotomayor helped tip the balance. She was so left wing radical, she made one of the moderates so angry at her ultra left wing stance that he moved into the vote that decided the case for freedom and Constitutional rights....

t.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22898 of 58779
Subject: Re: This is simply a new low Date: 1/22/2010 1:11 AM
Recommendations: 33
A 'win' for our democracy.

Corporations have 'rights' just like individuals.

Great. Arbitrary legal constructs now have the same rights as people. This ruling makes me a little misty eyed. Just the other day I was telling my wife this country would never truly be free until arbitrary legal constructs had the right to vote. Maybe one day corporations will have the right get married. And, dare I say it, two corporations will be able to marry each other even if one of the companies is black and the other one is white.

I draw the line at two companies of the same gender marrying each other though. Equal rights is not special rights.

5-4 decision, and apparently Sotomayor helped tip the balance. She was so left wing radical, she made one of the moderates so angry at her ultra left wing stance that he moved into the vote...

Great. I sleep so much better knowing Supreme Court decisions are made based on feelings of anger and revenge, instead of logic and legal precedent. This is such a great day for America I don't know what to say.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22899 of 58779
Subject: Re: This is simply a new low Date: 1/22/2010 1:28 AM
Recommendations: 1
Maybe one day corporations will have the right get married. And, dare I say it, two corporations will be able to marry each other even if one of the companies is black and the other one is white.

How will we handle a corporation's right to abortion?

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22900 of 58779
Subject: Re: This is simply a new low Date: 1/22/2010 1:33 AM
Maybe one day corporations will have the right get married. And, dare I say it, two corporations will be able to marry each other even if one of the companies is black and the other one is white.

How will we handle a corporation's right to abortion?

ha ha.

...except that Roe v Wade was decided on something like a <fundamental right to privacy> ... something Corps would love to have.

-
..... and probably will

Author: CountUptoten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22902 of 58779
Subject: Re: This is simply a new low Date: 1/22/2010 2:08 AM
Recommendations: 2
Skysix: Great. I sleep so much better knowing Supreme Court decisions are made based on feelings of anger and revenge, instead of logic and legal precedent. This is such a great day for America I don't know what to say.

Yup, a great day. Now we are officially a plutocracy instead of only a de Facto one.

Count Uptoten

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22906 of 58779
Subject: Re: This is simply a new low Date: 1/22/2010 8:50 AM
skysix: "Arbitrary legal constructs now have the same rights as people. "

Yes, that is what the Supreme Court has held, and corporations have been entitled to their rights from day one.

skyxix: "Just the other day I was telling my wife this country would never truly be free until arbitrary legal constructs had the right to vote. Maybe one day corporations will have the right get married. And, dare I say it, two corporations will be able to marry each other even if one of the companies is black and the other one is white."

Ever hear of mergers? And take overs? Been going on for years. And I'm sure some corporations located in places with 'heavy negro dialexts' merge with companies with 'heavy Boston accents'.....and vice versa. hee hee....

skysix:"I draw the line at two companies of the same gender marrying each other though. Equal rights is not special rights."

Correct...equal rights are EQUAL rights. However, the libs are all for dividing society into tiny buckets, then insisting that each sub group is entitled to 'special rights' because of 'some imagined discrimination'.

skysix: "Great. I sleep so much better knowing Supreme Court decisions are made based on feelings of anger and revenge, instead of logic and legal precedent."

Tell that to the Obama appointee who thinks just because she is a "Latino woman" that her voice has priority..... and yes, when Sotomayor votes on HER feelings and need for 'social justice', not Constitutional justice....others react and if they are on a fence trying to decide a sticky point.....that might just be enough to convince them to go one way or another.

You realize that with a 5-4 decision, half decided based upon the LAW on one side, half on the other, with the 'same facts'. It was just one who really decided the outcome, and it was Sotomayor with her ultra left wing position that convinced Kennedy that she was so wrong....that he went the other way.

skysix: "This is such a great day for America I don't know what to say."

Say thank heavens you live in a Constitutional Republic...where you have freedoms guaranteed by the Consitition, and that they apply equally to all.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22907 of 58779
Subject: Re: This is simply a new low Date: 1/22/2010 8:51 AM
Salaryguru: "How will we handle a corporation's right to abortion? "

Silly quip.

Projects are killed in many cases shortly after they are started. It's called business decisions.

Or, in the case of Ford...the Edsel was an abortion...that should have died an early death in product development.

YOu can say the same about YUOGs....

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22908 of 58779
Subject: Re: This is simply a new low Date: 1/22/2010 8:53 AM
"except that Roe v Wade was decided on something like a <fundamental right to privacy> ... something Corps would love to have."

There are two types of corporations...public and not public.

If a company doesn't issue stock......then it is private company and you don't have a clue as to what it is doing......

Only public corporations have to file annual public reports and report to stockholders and get audited where folks can see what is going on.

t.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement