Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is sort of off-thread in relation to the specifics of this post, but as a trust officer I have had a couple of times when naming a trust as the IRA bene was the best thing to do.

Specifically, when a surviving spouse has already done a spousal rollover, and is leaving the IRA to multiple children, but one of the kids is in a "bad" marriage (and living in a community property state) -- the grantor/accountholder is extremely concerned that the adult child's spouse not be able to access a wad of cash, either now or later. The trustee collects the IRA distributions, passes them through the trust to the bene. Only the trustee can elect to accelerate the distributions from the IRA. The trustee also has discretion over principal distributions. There is flexibility, should the trust beneficiary really need to have more income or principal distributions, but otherwise both the IRA and the trust corpus are protected in case of a divorce or death of the beneficiary.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.