Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: yttire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: Best place(s) for Roth cash? Date: 1/2/2009 7:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is the difficulty with being in a lot of cash- what do you do with it?

I am in the same position having moved most of my money out of the market in the middle of the crash. Right now the DJIA is still beneath where I pulled out. But it is steadily rising to where I pulled out and then I will be "behind" if I am not in the market. Hmmm what to do?

I decided to "dollar cost average" back in and moved about 25% into the market a month or so ago. I am not sure when I will move the rest in because I believe both stories (going up, or going down) but will dollar cost average in a little new money. I'll dollar cost average in a little more but am sure I'll get burned.

However, accepting that I can't make the absolute best decision, it is okay to accept a reasonable decision. Part of that decision is recognition I'll be investing in the future and my decisions right now for specific cash will eventually be dwarfed by future investments coming from income. (Presuming I have a job of course).

But this leaves me in the predicament- in the future when this happens again and I am not earning an income, what would be the correct course of action?

Or for that matter, what is the correct course of action at this moment?

I just read an article which suggested that splitting assets among CD's, stocks, bonds, real estate, and cash left the happiest investors according to happiness meters. I don't own any CD's and only own bonds through mutual funds. I own no real estate. So I am thinking of laddering some CD's, picking up a few bonds, and investigating buying a piece of property at record low interest rates with the idea of being able to meet mortgage payments.

My intention was with my equity investing to have uncorrelated asset classes, but the reality was that they were highly correlated except for the cash and my house which didn't get nailed as hard as a lot of housing markets.

So my recommendation is: look for truly uncorrelated asset classes and invest between them in this highly uncertain macroeconomic situation. A few TIPS would be good too.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement