Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
This is the situation. My parents have a LOT of clothing that my mom has held onto since before I was ever born, and I'm 30. They also own a small business (unincorporated) and both of my parents are retired. The question I have is that if I were to talk them into donating these clothes and possibly even doing some of the donations myself (there truly are that many) I've seen pricing lists that would put the deduction up into the thousands (again, there truly are that many). Now if they were to sale this stuff at a garage sale then the haul would possibly be a couple of hundred dollars. Anyone have any suggestions on this? I appreciate your thoughts!

Your dilemma is the typical one. Do you take the easy (profitable) way out or do you report correctly? The rules state that your parents are entitled to deduct the FMV of the clothes that they donate. The FMV is what they could sell the clothes for, not a generic price list prepared by Salvation Army (or another organization). The SA list (and others) are general guidelines as to what certain items may sell for in their stores. So if all they could get at a garage sale is "a couple of hundred dollars," that's a better approximation of what they should claim as a charitable deduction (should they donate the clothes).

You should also be aware of some other issues:

First, the charitable contribution will only be of use to them if they already itemize (or have enough deductions with the charitable contribution to itemize).

Second, if the value of the donated clothing exceeds $500, you have additional paperwork to file with the IRS, Form 8283, Noncash Charitable Contributions.

Third, if the value of the donated clothing exceeds $5000, in addition to the 8283, you need to get an independent appraisal.

Finally, if they sell the clothing, the cash they receive will be tax free (assuming that they sell the clothes for less than they originally paid for them).

Hope this helps. If you have further questions, please ask.

Ira
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement