UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (318) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76398  
Subject: Re: Hi gang... wow!!! Date: 9/19/2013 1:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is TMF, where we voluntarily show up & contribute to each other without charge, remember?

Right, and Ray started the spreadsheet, and it shows what he thinks is a reasonable comparison between the IUL and a few different naked strategies, so that people can choose which one fits their own personal risk profile the best.

If you want to espouse a different viewpoint than Ray has portrayed, you are free to take his spreadsheet and contribute your views to it. I guess maybe you think it's reasonable for you to ask Ray to spend his freely given time to make the changes to show your viewpoint. If that's the case, I don't understand why you portray it as 'obstreporous' or 'face-saving' for Ray to say no, when he is voluntarily giving his time to you.

As I explained to SykeSix, since we are not the Fed we can't simply manufacture currency out of thin air... if we have $1M total, we cannot simply conjure up an additional $500,000 to support the risks of $1M in the S&P500.

I know - my point is - if your invested account principal grows fast enough (like it will in the later years) that even putting your total new investable/reservable dollars into the reserves won't bring the reserve account up to 50% of the invested accounts, how do you get the reserves up to 50%? Sell invested assets? That seems silly, since the invested assets may have suffered a drawdown (small or large), and the reason for having the reserves is to not have to sell invested assets during a drawdown. So, I'm still not understanding how you expect this to be accomplished. After all, as you said - we can't manufacture money.

However, if we *DID*... then our total capital would be $1.5M, right?
Our $1M at risk would be 2/3 of our total capital. 1/3 covering the risk.
1/3 is 50% of 2/3... see?

Right - 1/3 is 50% of 2/3, so reserves are 50% of the invested account value. You keep referring to a 50% drawdown that needs to be reserved for, so I was using the 50% terminology, see?

I never said a 50/50 market-to-reserves blend was necessary for the S&P. It has a typical historical drawdown expectation around 50%... thus, a risk-weighted allocation would be 66%/33% market-to-reserves, as I've explained.

Okay - as I explained, we were using different terminology to refer to the reserves being 50% of the invested account. However, you had asked for what the max drawdown is for the 50/50 blend account. That drawdown was less than 50% - so I'm asking why, since we seem to have now added a 50/50 mix as a naked strategy, you seem to still be insisting that the reserves need to be 50% of the invested account for that strategy.

AJ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (318) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement