Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
this is too late for you if you filed today (april 17). But however you did it, something to keep in mind for next year is that you should NEVER pay a CPA more than a couple hundred even for a complicated return.

Don't forget to consider Enrolled Agents. They are generally less expensive than CPAs and have more concentrated knowledge of taxes. The EA exam covers only taxes and lasts two and a half days. The CPA exam is a little longer, but the tax section is just a fraction of the whole exam. EAs can represent you before the IRS just like CPAs and attorneys can.

That being said, there are complicated returns, and there are COMPLICATED returns. I don't consider a normal 1040 with a Schedule A, B, D, and an 8606 to be complicated. On the other hand, I won't spend hours sorting through disorganized records in shoe boxes for free, or spend hours hand-transferring active traders' stock trades onto Schedule Ds for the same price I'd do a Schedule D with 5 or 10 transactions.

Angelbuggy, E.A.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.