Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is where you find out about love :)
Seriously, you say "jointly owned" and hopefully
both Social Security numbers are on your broker's
file. You can split the sale and each report half of the sale and costs etc. If the social security number of one of you is on the 1099, and IF you later get a letter from the IRS, then you can explain whose SS# reported the other half of the sale and hopefully income.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.