UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: CowDad Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4956  
Subject: Re: Response from BuyandHold Date: 4/18/2001 11:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This letter has made me feel a bit more secure. I was holding off on putting in a buy order, but now I think I will.

Other than the part about having 210,000 accounts that letter did not say one word that we already didn't know. Our accounts getting wiped out--nobody's even brought that up as a real possibility, at least not that I've seen. The problem for me is that I don't know how much of a headache it will be, and what anxiety I might feel if the website goes down and nobody answers the phones at the place.

The 210,000 tells us they get at least $630,000 in revenue every month, or $7.5M a year--if they haven't had a whole bunch of cancellations recently. We might be able to safely move that $7.5M figure up to $11M--if we were to assume that half their customers spend $6 a month. IF, IF, the 11.5M figure is correct or close, then it looks to me like it could be less of a going concern issue.

The reality to me appears to be that there's little chance of our getting wiped out, but that going concern is also a reality, a major one. And a headache over this is something I want to avoid, even if it costs me some money. I'm leaning toward selling out on Friday, keeping the account open and letting them charge me the $9.99 a month fee until things become clearer. We haven't gotten any real answers from anybody about what a headache this might be.

I guess I'll go on some of the other boards and read about other discount brokers this weekend. I think I'm leaning toward Ameritrade though. I went to eTrade today and spent about 10 minutes at the page and never could find out how much they charge for a trade. I guess they wanted you to set up the account first. Well, they lost a customer. At this point, I think I'd like to go with the biggest name, which is eTrade, but I'm not doing business with some outfit that is not forthcoming about charges.

This whole BUYandHOLD deal makes me feel kind of sick. I am not going to write them and tell them I'll gladly pay higher fees though. I'm going to keep the account open, but I'm not going to tell them I think they should charge more.

CowDad
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement