UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BruceCM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: Re: Please suggest an income portfolio Date: 11/4/2013 3:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This looks pretty good.

I don't have the time to cross check these, but I sense there might be some overlap, such as with consumer products, broad dividend and high dividend ETFs you show.

I'd start by breaking down the income-securities marketplace into income groupings that have poor income correlations. Here are some that come to mind:

Consumer non-cyclicals
Consumer staples
regulated utilities
equity REITs
Consumer finance
non-banking preferred stock
Energy
MLPs
Investment grade debt
high-yield debt

Note: I treat preferreds and MLPs as a separate income group due to their rules for making distributions rather than the industry they are grouped with.

Now, find the ETFs that most closely aligns with these groups.

You also need to calculate the income expense ratio for each ETF you find. This is the % of the ETFs gross income that goes to the house. Forget the quoted ER, as this can be manipulated. You might be surprised to find how expensive an income ETF can be.

Personally, I hold a couple of income ETFs (VIG and JNK), but almost entirely I hold individual income securities representing the income groups I've listed above. But you are right...this does require more work and an understanding of how companies are able to sustain and grow their distributions over time...and there are certainly those who want the reliable income but not the work to find and sustain it. Income ETFs will be good fits for these individuals....just make sure you've got the right ETF :-)

BruceM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement