No. of Recommendations: 0
This may seem silly but I need some advice. I am about 18,000 in debt and am 24 years old and feel quite ashamed about this debt because it was foolish spending that got me there. I have taken on a second job but sometimes it is hard to explain to my friends why I am working so much.
I constantly lie to them and tell them that this second job is going to help pay for my education. And I haven't told my parents either. I feel like I am keeping this deep dark secret about my debt and I see this as a problem of gaining control of it as well. Any advice on what a girl should do so that her head doesn't explode would be greatly appreciated.

quefire,
Since you are still pursuing an education (if I remember correctly), it isn't exactly a lie to say that the job is to help pay for the education. You don't need to tell anyone anything more than you are comfortable sharing.

That being said, it would probably help for you to be able to confide in at least one person. This could be a parent, other family member or friend. It would probably take some weight off to admit to someone that you are working to pay down some debt. You don't have to tell them the amount.

If you are able to confide in someone this will give you someone that you may be able to spend time with, without spending money. You could go to a park together, or see a movie at the "cheap seats" instead of seeing the new releases, etc. Also, if the second job tires you out, or you feel the stress returning, you would have someone that you could call and talk to about it. (Though you are always welcome to talk about it on the board as well.)

Have you taken this new income into consideration for your debt repayment plan? Do you know what order you plan to pay things off? It may also help to fine tune your plan so you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Working two jobs when you are young is going to be much better than working past the age when you wanted to retire. I hope you are able to keep in mind that the second job is temporary.

:-) Good luck with everything. If you want help running numbers again, feel free to post your income and debts again.

DizChick
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement