Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This one might REALLY sound like a stupid question, but is there a table for tax brackets that's easily accessible? I ask because I'm wondering if my college student daughter has earned enough to have to pay taxes this year. What's the income level at which one does NOT have to pay taxes?

***Depends on whether or not the child has income earned from investments, income earned from employment, income from investments and employment income, and whether or not your daughter claims her own exemption on her tax return.

If she is your dependent,and her income from investments is under $700., she need not file a return. If her only income is from employment (in 1999) she could have made $4300, without having any taxable income. If she has any combination of income, under the $4300 that exceeds $700 + 250 of investment income, each $1 over the $950 is taxable. Trying to explain this, so that others may comprehend, is a great task for me!=(: I can understand it conceptually, and have no problem properly reporting. However, I hate puzzles and am not the world's greatest when it comes to explaining them or solving them. I hope, by the time we finish, you will understand!!=:) You'll find a more comprehensive explanation, worksheets, and examples, at the following URL:

It is unlikely but if your child could claim her own exemption, she would want to file a return only to claim a refund, if her total income was under $7050.

You will likely be claiming the exemption for your daughter. Check out the credits for Hope Scholarship, if your child is in her first two years of college, and the Lifetime Learning Credits for secondary education in later periods.

Happy Holidays!!!=:)

Print the post  

In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.