UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65664  
Subject: This thing is getting faster Date: 1/6/2013 1:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I know it's new, top chip and filled with 16 GB Ram. My new iMac is getting faster :) Now running TM in the background, various apps running, and even a RDC hooked up to a remote Windows server.

Could be the new Fusion drive? Haven't really compared to anything else yet. My only recent benchmark was a new, very expensive HP running W8. My new iMac is so much faster, no need to compare benchmarks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61891 of 65664
Subject: Re: This thing is getting faster Date: 1/6/2013 2:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
It should be getting faster if I understand how the fusion drive works. Fusion drive machines come with the OS and any preinstalled software on the SSD part of the drive. Anything users install goes to the spinning part of the drive. With time the OS notes which programs and files are used the most -- those items will be moved from the spinning part of the drive to the SSD part.

As a measure of how much difference that can make, I went to the local Apple store and roughly speaking a MacBook Air booted in 10 seconds. A non-retina MacBook Pro took about 80 seconds. Big difference.

Gordon
Atanta

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61909 of 65664
Subject: Re: This thing is getting faster Date: 1/6/2013 8:08 PM
Recommendations: 0
Anything users install goes to the spinning part of the drive.

Not quite. The SSD portion of the volume will get used first, until it reaches capacity. Only at that point does the OS start moving things around.

Note that it's very smart about what should be moved. For example, if a frequently used app has files that don't get used (say, the foreign-language localization files), they won't get moved to the SSD.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement