UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: flyerboys Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 463529  
Subject: Re: "Agent economy" of part-timers Date: 10/6/2012 1:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 22
This thread takes Macro economics into Moral Economics. How should we live and how should we raise and train our children to live?

I went from employee to contractor/consultant after 5 years of saving like mad, but most importantly after finding a niche (Vaxen kernel programming) where customers had a great sense of urgency as contract deadline grew near.

I would work weeks with little sleep, often on a cot near the computer console, in a state of self-induced mania. Huge payoffs. Then I would recover and sleep for a week, and then spend time relaxing, training in new skills (in those days I was mastering C and my favorite, a weird language called FORTH, and marketing/awaiting the next project. I was "working" about 2 out of every 5 days but in very irregular lumps (40 days ON nonstop and then 100 days 'OFF') but making 3-4 times annually what I had made before.

I bought private health insurance in 1979, holding on for dear life ever since until this year, when the price was simply too astronomical. Health Reform divorcing insurance from place of business is necessary if independent businesses and contractors are to survive.

It is very very hard to teach people how to do independent contractor if they were not raised to do it. However, some nomadic groups live this way naturally, and so we need to look at the large scale infrastructure of Culture/Childhood Training/Economics/Religion as a the boundaries of possible microeconomics.

david fb
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement