UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (68) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TheFoolTool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740379  
Subject: Re: OT: Is there something wrong with her? Date: 8/29/2005 4:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
This tolerance of dissent was founded on the idea that we would at least embrace some common ideals and pursue some common goals. The theory was that reasonable people might, in some cases disagree about goals, methods and principles, but they would use their rational faculties to attempt to overcome those disagreements for mutual gain and approach toward the common ideals. This is clearly only theory and not actual practice. In actual practice, we have people who express dissent while embracing opposing ideals, refusing to employ their rational faculties (or not in possession of any) and no intent to allow anything other than full compliance with their whims. In times of war, this is treasonous because it gives aid and comfort and because its intent is to promote the defeat of the common ideals.

Please feel free to cite examples in regards to this.

I remember, vaguely, some time ago that Bill O'Reilly said something akin to "now that we're at war it's time to shut up and support the President" or it was Savage and I'm likely paraphrasing somewhat but not by much.

First They Came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.
Pastor Martin Niemöller

http://www.telisphere.com/~cearley/sean/camps/first.html
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (68) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement