Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This underpayment is the result of realized capital gains so if there is no way to avoid a penalty would it be allright just to wait until next April or should I add the extra amount in the Janaury payment? So far there is no way I can offset it with any more losses

If the underpayment occured in the fourth quarter then you may be able to annualize the calculation and thereby make a fourth quarter payment without incurring a penalty. THIS IS A VERY COMPLICATED CALCULATION and you may want to consider the following alternative.

If you can have your withholding from your paycheck adjusted so that by the end of the year your federal tax withheld is greater than you prior year tax liability you could avoid any Est tax penalty..... assuming your AGI for 1999 is less than 150k.

Hope this helps


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.