Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Kcourt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 57353  
Subject: Re: cold turkey Date: 8/1/2001 10:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This was the only way I could quit - just like the alcoholic, which I am not. However, since I used to be married to a raging alcoholic, I have the weaknesses they have - addiction and compulsion, enabling, etcc.

I remember the day well - I had finally decided to stop after looking at my ash tray, and finding four lit cigarettes (all mine) and knew that I indeed had a problem. I guess I hit bottom. I quit on January 2, 1963 - my husband helped me at first - he quit for six weeks and then couldn't stay away. He started up again and smoked til he died in 1984 of severe alcoholism.

I never had another cigarette - it was not easy, never said it was. However, I had help from my higher power, whom I choose to call God. He helped me through the darkest days, one day at a time. Sometimes it was just one minute at a time. Now, I will have to admit that I am ome of those terrible reformed smokers who cannot stand the smell of cigarettes any longer - maybe that was a blessing from God, I don't know. I do know I am very grateful.

Now, I am glad I stopped - life is better, now I can smell the manure, but I can also smell the spagetti, chocolate - all those things that seemed to disappear.

For those of you who want to stop but don't think you can - you can, with help. Don't think you have to do it alone. We will all help you through it. When you have the urge to smoke, decide you will wait for ten minutes - often by that time, the urge has lessened and you are safe for a while longer. You might not be able to give anything up, but you can do anything, one day at a time!

Let go and let God!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement