Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
This week I downloaded a W-4 from the IRS website and did a little calculating to see if we could have less taxes taken out of our one-income paycheck.

Very Foolish thinking. My compliments.

Turns out that instead of 6 exemptions my husband had been claiming( 2 adults, 4 kids) we can claim 11. He gave it to the accounting office and she said she would have to report it to the IRS. Now, WHAT does that mean?

It means that they send a copy of the W-4 to the IRS. There are people in the world, yourself not included, who try to scam the system by claiming too many withholding allowances. Thus employers are required to send copies of some W-4's to the IRS.

What is the cutoff number when they require reporting?

Evidently it's 10. I can never remember whether it's 10 or 15. You'll find the number in Publication 15, which you can get from the same place you got the W-4.

Are we in for an audit? For the last three years we've gotten thousands of dollars in refund-sure sign of overpaying all year. We requested nothing special on the W-4-just filled it out as they have it written out.

Then I'd say you'll probably not even hear from the IRS. I don't know what their current procedures for working W-4's are, but if they make any sense at all, the first thing they'll do is look at the numbers from last year's return. If all four of the children qualify for the child tax credit and you have some itemized deductions, you're easily up to 11 allowances.

At most they'll write and ask you to back up the number. You'll send them a copy of the worksheet and be done with it.

In short, don't worry about it.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement