Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
This whole thing has been a big headache, as I've now paid a few hundred dollars in income tax, FICA, and state income tax that I didn't need to pay.

One question to help clarify things a bit. Did you send back the NET amount of the paycheck, or was it the GROSS amount?

If its the net, you haven't overpaid any taxes. You just have an incorrect W-2 reporting more taxes than you actually paid.

If you paid back the gross pay, then you have actually paid back too much and your employer now owes you a bit of money. And you still have an incorrect W-2.

Do you mean a corrected W-2 from my employer? They said they couldn't give me one.

Did they say why they can't do that? They are the ONLY people who can issue a corrected W-2. I'd raise the question up the payroll heirarchy until you can get an answer.

Good luck.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.