Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
This year, I have accepted a position with another law firm and again anticipate maxing out my 401(k). However, although I closed my law office today, I anticipate collecting approximately $10,000 this year for work that I performed in 2001. So may I open a SIMPLE for either 2001 or 2002? If I do, will that increase the amount of money that I can save tax-deferred?

The 401(k) limit is also the overall limit on deferrals. SIMPLE contributions are likewise deferrals. Thus, no SIMPLE for you for 2001 or 2002. You could, however, do SEP contributions based on your self-employment for those years, in addition to your traditional or Roth IRA contributions. See Pub 560.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.