No. of Recommendations: 3
This year I have no gains that could be offset by selling my KMI holdings. Can I short-term loss be used to reduce taxable income such as RMD withdrawals?

Yes, up to $3,000 worth.

If it can and the loss exceeds $3,000, can the excess loss be carried forward to the next tax year?

Yes, it would carry through as a short-term loss.

If you had a long-term capital loss that you carried forward from a previous year and exceeds $3,000, is the short-term loss added to the existing long-term capital loss and carried forward to the following tax years?

If the short-term loss exceeds $3,000, the short-term loss is what will be used to offset current ordinary income. Then the remainder of the short-term loss and the long-term loss will be carried forward, each on their own. Next year, if you have any capital gains, the losses will be matched (by term) with those gains to offset. Then if both categories are losses, you will use $3,000 to offset current income, using up the short-term losses first. If one category is a loss and the other is a gain, the remaining gain will be offset by the loss, and then any remaining loss will be used to offset ordinary income. Any remaining losses after offsetting income will be carried forward, as either long or short-term, as appropriate.

I have the impression that some of you reading this board might be stock traders and have a better understanding of the tax consequences of a capital loss. I would appreciate any insight that you can provide.

Not a trader, but I volunteer to do taxes.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement