Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This year I started a LLC in PA.
I am a Pa resident.
I spent almost all of my time traveling away from home.
Can I fill out an expense report and submit it to my company specifying the maximum amount as specified in form 1542?


Prior to October 1, 2000 you were note allowed to use the per diem substantiation method for your travel expenses at all, due to the related party rule (ownership of greater than or equal to 10% of the payor).

After 10/01/2000, you are allowed to use the per diem method for meals and incidental expenses only (not lodging expenses).

See the Rev Proc 2000-9 for the rules from 1/1/2000 through 9/30/2000, and Rev Proc 2000-39 for after 10/01/2000. You may find these on the IRS website (sorry, I don't have that address handy to post here).

You must subtantiate your travel expenses by means of a log and by receipts; estimates are not allowed after 1984.

Sorry 'bout the bad news.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.