UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: readyteddy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 130  
Subject: This Year, The Met Better Come Through! Date: 12/7/2007 7:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It's been almost a year since the annual New York visit with my brother and sister in law. Every year we go to the Armory Antique Show and catch the major Folk Art show which they have in New York the same week. Last year it was in Chelsea, the year before uptown.

Anyway, last year my wife and I walked from the Yale Club at 44th and Vanderbilt to the Metropolitan at 110th and Park or whatever in an icy wind just to see Ernest Meisosier's Friedland which, when sold in the 19th Century, was the most expensive painting in history by a living artist. Meissnier is SOOOO out of favor now and the Met is one of the few Museums which doesn't hide his paintings in the basement.

I didn't know squat about Meissonier....

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/meissonier_jean-louis-ernest.html

...until I read Ross King's magnificent The Judgement of Paris which deals with Meissonier, Manet and the revolution in French art during the reign of Napleon III, but I digress.

Last year after freezing my you-know-what off on a 50 block walk to the Met, interrupted by soup, salad and wine for two at some cute little upper East Side bistro ($100), I paid the "voluntary" $20 to get into the Met only to learn too late that Friedland was not on display at the time due to renovations. Major buzz kill.

This year, I am saving the $20 and investing it in a cab ride from the Yale Club and when I get to the Met, that painting better be there. They owe me one.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement