UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 461686  
Subject: Re: US paranoia Date: 10/8/2012 8:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Those that followed my traveling along the coast of China last year will remember that, while my laptop's security seemed to hold up under the Chinese assault (the BIOS had been "a bit" customized), it was crippled to the extent that I had to wipe the hard disk and start over when I got home (it took a clutz of an Avis shuttle driver to put a stake in the heart of the PC this year). A few years ago, Huawei Technologies bought 3COM and, no doubt like many other network manufacturers, copied Cisco equipment and technology. More importantly, the fear might be that the componants the equipment is built from allow those familiar with built-in flaws (presumably the Chinese government) to take advantage of these faults. (BTW, it would make sense that the Chinese might be equaly concerned about using our hardware and those that use Israeli and other sophisticated electronics must have similar concerns.

This is not paranoia, but a risk that has to be balenced against the reward.

So the question for an investor would be:
"Will Cisco, et al, sell more in the US with these guys gone than they lose in sales on the other side of the pond?

As an aside, there is a ton of "grey market" Cisco stuff that gets transshipped from hina to the US and, even with a couple of extra distribution layers and the extra cost of shipping, sells for a fraction of what legit (made for the US market) Cisco stuff sells for.
Is this dumping there or taking advantage here (the way the pharma firms do)?

Jeff
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Berkshire Beyond Buffett Event
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement