Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tacodog One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121256  
Subject: Those wacky W-2s Date: 2/21/2000 1:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sup all,

If this isn't the place for this question, I apologize in advance.

Here's the story, I live in Oregon but for the past several years, worked in Washington state.

In the third, final and "corrected" W-2 the company finally sent, state wages are listed under Washington (there's no income tax in that state, I think), and that's the only box with a number in it, and Oregon (again, my place of residence) shows only the State Income Tax paid, nothing else.

(For those of you with your own W-2's nearby, box 16 lists two states, WA and OR -- box 17 is filled in the WA row and box 18 is filled in the OR row.)

Is this correct? I'm only asking now because the company sent me 3 W-2s in all this year, the first two followed by a "whoops, we screwed up" letter and in last year's W-2, my income and state tax was only shown for Oregon.

confusedly yours,
tacodog
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29690 of 121256
Subject: Re: Those wacky W-2s Date: 2/23/2000 9:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<In the third, final and "corrected" W-2 the company finally sent, state wages are listed under Washington (there's no income tax in that state, I think), and that's the only box with a number in it, and Oregon (again, my place of residence) shows only the State Income Tax paid, nothing else.>>

Well...I'd say to ask the company. But it sounds like they don't have a clue either.

Generally, if you were physically working in WA, you would receive a WA W-2 form, with no WA or OR withholding taxes (no WA because there are no state taxes. No OR because you weren't working there).

But a WA W-2 form with OR withholding indicates to me that the company may be based out of WA, but your wages are considered OR wages. But thats just (and only) a guess.

<<(For those of you with your own W-2's nearby, box 16 lists two states, WA and OR -- box 17 is filled in the WA row and box 18 is filled in the OR row.)>>

Which again sounds like you were working in both states...or at least the company is located in WA and you were working (physically) in OR.

<<Is this correct?>>

Without knowing more about the issues, I have no clue. Sorry.

<< I'm only asking now because the company sent me 3 W-2s in all this year, the first two followed by a "whoops, we screwed up" letter and in last year's W-2, my income and state tax was only shown for Oregon.>>

Again, something sounds fishy, but I can't tell you exactly what that might be. In general, if you physically worked in WA (regardless of where you live), you'll generally receive only a WA W-2 form, indicating WA wages, and no wages or withholding indicated for OR (even though the wages WILL be taxable to OR...your resident state).

Sorry...that's the best I've got...
TMF Taxes
Roy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement