No. of Recommendations: 0
Though I still think the idea of money management books as gifts are a good one, I almost lost a long time friend because I offerred unwanted advice about his relationship with his father (which at the time was adversarial.) My lesson was, I can't solve the world's problems, and no longer offer that kind of advice. I'm only worrying about me and mine - except in this anonymous forum, which is lots easier to deal with!!
johnmoni

Thank you for that perfect example of sticking your nose in where it does not belong.

None of us know our family's or friend's entire financial situation unless we are their accountant. For us to assume that they need financial advice from us or TMF would be presumptious and rather on the rude side.

Now, the big question. Who is the person? Coming in here with her opinion and spouting off like this?

I'm someone who has been there, done that and will never go back. My husband and I lived the good life for several years, credit cards, good jobs, had money saved, the whole 9 yards.

Then it happened. I became pregnant, we both go laid off, couldn't find jobs that paid better than unemployment at the time, didn't qualify for any type of assistance. After our daughter was born, my husband ruptured his colon and was in the hospital for 11 days.

In the end, we were forced into bankruptcy. It has taken us years to recover. We have not had a credit card in over 7 years and will not get another one. If we can't pay cash for it, we don't need it.

But I will also tell you that even through the worst of our times, if someone came in and started giving me financial advice and books with out discussing it with me first, I would have been very offended. It's called pride. Everyone has it and you need to work with and around it.

Deannda
::now you know the rest of the story::

Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement