Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Though I'm no tax lawyer, I investigated this a bit before doing my taxes this year. It doesn't seem that you can take either a tax credit or deduction

See IRS form 8863, "Education Credits"

Since you are not claiming her as a dependent, you cannot take the Hope or Lifetime Learning tax credits. Interestingy enough, though, her parents could take the credits (assuming they claim her as a dependent) based on any and all money you contribute.

You also can't deduct this on line 20 of Schedule A, because it isn't REQUIRED for YOUR job. See Sched A instructions

Hope this helps!
Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.