Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: mosafef Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 347  
Subject: thoughts Date: 1/18/2000 5:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well here's my thoughts if you care to read them.

With the limited insight that I have on the USWeb merger, I will say that for the most part I view this merger with some optimistic pessimism. (Let me explain the oxymoron.)

I want to buy into the idea of the fleshing out of the b-b offerings of usweb. The truth is, it's hard to win some critical engagements in the b-b area when quite frankly USWeb has an overall lack of large scale ERP and other backend systems like PeopleSoft and SAP. They get eaten up when it comes time to put the rubber to the road against IBM, EDS, etc. So from that stand point, assuming Whitman can deliver, (that's not a dig I just don't know about them) it seems like a good idea.

But the issues that confound me, and maybe this deal will adrees that as well, is that USWeb has a hard time getting it's own house in order. The lack of a consistent comp plan for it's employees across the board, which has been promised for over a year now, is still not a reality. Secondly, Robert Shaw has made at least two statments that have proven whether by design or by happenstance, have proven not to be correct.

1)At a conference call upon the aquisiton of MMG he made the comment that "we are the size we want to be and now it's time to grow organically." (paraphrased)

2) He refuted a red herring article that explained that Shaw was looking for an exit strategy as CEO. The article was in the words of strategist Ian Small complete "bullshit." Three months later, that article seems to have proven correct.

I think that there's currently an integrity issue here. An inconsistent face from upper managment to it's employees without whom, in this business, you don't go anywhere.

Only time will tell if the merger will adress these concerns or if we just take one more spin on the USWeb merry go round. If the CEO is half as dynamic and exciting as he sounds, we may be in for quite a ride, but I can't ignore the issues of the past year. Revenue growth or not, you gotta' keep the people happy and right now, morale has probably suffered.

BTW - love to hear suggestions on a name for NewCo.

Rebuttals and comments welcome,
Mosafef
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement