UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 597  
Subject: Thoughts on a board for every article? Date: 7/2/2008 4:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Should we have a board for every term/article or should we rely on a few catchall boards?

The idea behind a board per term was so we easily allow editors to discuss the various points about each term in a very organized way and so we could pull in the most recent posts via RSS.

Do you think this is valuable in the long or short term?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFBomb Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49 of 597
Subject: Re: Thoughts on a board for every article? Date: 7/2/2008 4:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Or would it be better to have an uber term discussion board? Another possibility is making term discussion boards on an as requested basis.

Author: TMFBreakerDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50 of 597
Subject: Re: Thoughts on a board for every article? Date: 7/3/2008 12:37 AM
You guys already know this but I like one board per article. It's about having a consistent, dependable, dedicated resource for any term whose page you're on. Anything else just fuzzies things up. If people are looking for more general discussions, those can already be found all up and down the Fool discussion boards. So to me the ultimate aim here is not to drive volume so much as to provide people a "home board" for discussion on the specific term they're looking up. Some will be volume and some will have no posts, but build it and they will come (same reason we're glad on CAPS we built it all out ticker by ticker, rather than lumping lower-volume tickers into baskets or by jumbles of tags). --DG

Author: TMFBreakerOrion Big gold star, 5000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51 of 597
Subject: Re: Thoughts on a board for every article? Date: 7/3/2008 10:04 AM
As this builds out your going to have multiple terms that are closely related which could cause a different type of confusion if you have a board for each. Consider "daybagger" and "spiffy-pop" for example; do you really want two separate discussion boards?

I lean towards a board per term/article but there will be some jumble that can occur. Can it be a default for one board per article but allow for a manual override to join certain terms into one board? (Probably not practical but thought it was worth asking.)

Perhaps daybagger and spiffy-pop should link to a single article/page and thus have a single discussion board?

Karl ~ strolling through

Author: TMFMrquakeroats Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59 of 597
Subject: Re: Thoughts on a board for every article? Date: 7/4/2008 10:11 AM
I wonder if instead of having a board for every term there is a board for every category. That might be simpler and more efficient.

Author: TMFMoby Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60 of 597
Subject: Re: Thoughts on a board for every article? Date: 7/4/2008 1:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
Perhaps daybagger and spiffy-pop should link to a single article/page and thus have a single discussion board?

I think you're probably correct in this example since they are so related and have little chance of being expanded into much more than they currently are. The decision in cases like this will be made on the wiki and not in the board creation process.

In the short term, I will create boards on a weekly basis for every well-developed article, since they have a greater chance of having a conversation about them. I'll start at the top of the list here:
http://wiki.fool.com/index.php?title=Special:Longpages

And I'll start with this page:
http://wiki.fool.com/wiki/Dividend
Fool on TMFGebnir and TMFJazzysav!

It might make sense in the long-term to go with boards per category but we'll see how it goes this way for now.

If anyone wants a board created about an article just email flossary@fool.com and I'll create it that day.

Jeremy

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 87 of 597
Subject: Re: Thoughts on a board for every article? Date: 7/10/2008 10:04 AM
Recommendations: 2
You guys already know this but I like one board per article. It's about having a consistent, dependable, dedicated resource for any term whose page you're on. Anything else just fuzzies things up.

David,

At first blush, a board for every term is an organized and simple way to do it, but I have concerns I shared with Jeremy privately earlier.

1. Only admins can currently open boards. We would need a tech process to allow editors to create a board and link to it. That opens other security concerns.

2. Redundancy: Are editors going to search for an appropriate board before creating new ones? If every permutation of a term has its own board, it creates the fuzziness you want to avoid.

3. If the intention is to link from the article page to specific conversation about the term, why not link to a thread in a category board? Anyone can start a new thread in an existing board without needing permissions or tech processes, and all of the conversation would be in that thread instead of scattered in multiple threads on a discrete board.

My 2 centavos :)

Richard

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement