UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: srmd22 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1107  
Subject: Thoughts on Fidelity and Bullfinch? Date: 7/6/2010 12:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am consolidating my retirement accounts into an IRA and a Roth IRA, and opening a personal trading account in order to invest in taxable index funds, mutuals and some stocks.

I am planning on going with Fidelity, mostly because I already have a traditional IRA and a 401k with them, so it will be fairly easy to roll my other IRA's over to them, and have them all in one location. I spoke with their customer service on the phone a few times, and they were very helpful and are available 24/7. Their trading fees are a flat fee of 7.95 per trade, which is pretty good.

I have also consultant with some sales people from Bullfinch. I am leaning away from them because they keep hard-selling me whole life insurance, umbrella insurance, and some other products that I am not too interested in. However, like Fidelity, they don't charge a percentage of my portfolio as a fee (I am willing to forego biased active management and advice if I can forego these fees). They are recommending one of their mutual fund products, the RS Fund family, which seems to perform similarly to my Fidelity freedom funds. They claim it has a lower expense ratio, but the Fidelity guys say that their expense ratio's are around .7%, and are some of the lowest around (I am in the process of checking up on this).

Bottom line: what do people use and recommend? Fidelity? Bullfinch? Something totally different, like Vanguard or Schwab? (not totally different, just different companies, I guess).

I guess I just want either warnings or reassurances before I commit to a brokerage like Fidelity.

Thanks.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement