Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: kschof Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 44593  
Subject: Thoughts on shorting GE? Date: 1/5/1998 2:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I haven't seen any discussion about shorting GE for a while on this board. I'm trying to decide on the timing for going short GE and was curious if any of you folks have an opinion.

I'm feeling pretty confident that its overvalued at a PE of 30+ but I don't want to step into the path of the January effect. On the other hand, I believe GE has significant Asian exposure and I'm trying to decide if their calendar Q4 numbers will be affected or if it will take another quarter. My thanks in advance for your Foolish counsel regarding either shortability or timing of a short play.

kschof
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cherokeo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 416 of 44593
Subject: Re: Thoughts on shorting GE? Date: 1/6/1998 10:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
GE is 3.2 % weighting in S%P 500.
Large flow of funds from yearend retirement plan contributions will occur in January. Index Funds will account for a substantial (?) portion of equity mutual fund contributions to closet indexers as well as straight index funds. Funds will invest in stocks as they are weighted in the index. All other things being equal, GE and other grossly overpriced issues which are heavily weighted in the indexes are probably better shorts after the cash bulge has hit.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement