Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Fallout2Queen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 195750  
Subject: Thread on LBYM about church membership dues Date: 2/6/2002 4:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In case anyone has any helpful comments for that poster:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=16651827
we are looking to join our local Episcopal church. When looking through the membership material I was taken aback to see the average annual pledge was $2500 or thereabouts. Its a small church of some 200 members.

Is this alot or is it me? Neither of us have been church members as adults so pretty clueless. I know people tithe about 10% of their income. Is this common practice?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73167 of 195750
Subject: Re: Thread on LBYM about church membership dues Date: 2/6/2002 7:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<<When looking through the membership material I was taken aback to see the average annual pledge was $2500 or thereabouts. Its a small church of some 200 members.

Is this alot or is it me? Neither of us have been church members as adults so pretty clueless. I know people tithe about 10% of their income. Is this common practice?>>>

One would have to make several assumptions to decide as to whether this is alot or not. How many singles, children, elderly, etc. I've always figured on dividing the membership by 3 and that would give you a rough approximation of the number of families. So, in your case, about 65 families. Assuming a tithe, that means each family is making about $75,000. Now, is this a farming community, silicon valley, doctors, barbers?

In typical Southern Baptist Church, about 20% of the people give about 80% of the collection. So, in a way, it's almost like the tax system, the minority are definitely giving more. Hopefully it's a situation where the few rich are really giving tithes and the middle and lower incomes are really giving tithes and that is just the way the numbers work out. But I haven't seen a church like that.

The main thing you must do is to put all of this aside. You can't look at what you're neighbor is doing. That's the whole splinter in their eye with a board in yours. Tithe, cheerfully. If you have a problem tithing you may need to do one of two things: pray about it and let God convict you or you may need to find a new place of worship if you feel your tithe money is being used inappropriately.

JLC

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73176 of 195750
Subject: Re: Thread on LBYM about church membership dues Date: 2/6/2002 11:43 PM
<<average annual pledge was $2500 or thereabouts>>

I would think it is above average?

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73183 of 195750
Subject: Re: Thread on LBYM about church membership dues Date: 2/7/2002 8:43 AM
Your question has probably already been answered, but:

$2,500 average for 200 members seems about right, if a great deal of them tithe. If I tithed, my annual contribution would be waaay above the average for this church. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have made that public...

Charles

LOL

Author: Fallout2Queen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73194 of 195750
Subject: Re: Thread on LBYM about church membership dues Date: 2/7/2002 11:32 AM
Your question has probably already been answered

It wasn't actually my question, it was from a post on the LBYM board, but thanks.

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73197 of 195750
Subject: Re: Thread on LBYM about church membership dues Date: 2/7/2002 12:04 PM
It wasn't actually my question, it was from a post on the LBYM board, but thanks.

Yeah, I saw that the moment I hit the "send" key... otherwise, I would have answered on that board. Maybe the original poster will read the replies over here.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement