UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TaoFelix Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1950235  
Subject: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 6:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 120
There's exactly one Iraq war veteran in Congress, 33-year-old Rep. Patrick Murphy, a Democrat. Murphy volunteered for combat on September 12, 2001, and was an officer in the 82nd Airborne. Nineteen men were killed in his brigade.

He is on Carl Rove's top 20 list of targetted Democratic congressmen.

The junior representative from Pennsylvania was the Democratic party whip on the Iraq war budget vote that included provisions for U.S. troop withdrawals.

"President Bush and Vice President Cheney have called me and my colleagues unpatriotic for that vote," says Murphy. "With all due respect to Mr. Cheney who had -- what was it? -- better things to do during Vietnam and got four deferments, I don't think he's in a position to question my patriotism."

Are you?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: NewLiberal Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080088 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 7:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Two cheers, or maybe one, for although Congress has the power, he's not voting to de-fund the war, is he?

Author: FULLERKZ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080104 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 10:04 AM
Recommendations: 1
"Two cheers, or maybe one, for although Congress has the power, he's not voting to de-fund the war, is he?"

Patriotism doesn't render the Congressman stupid. His methods may conflict with Cheney's, but like Pelosi and Clinton and the leadership in the Democratic party they are smart enough not to repeat 1975. You do remember that, don't you?

Depending on the candidate, I will vote for the one that can deal most effectively with Iraq and the global war against the ideologues of hate. You call them insurgents. The only other issue, the economy, bears no relationship to a president's policies except in the ability to raise and lower taxes. Besides, its humming right now.

Sorry about your single cheer.

Author: TaoFelix Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080127 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 11:27 AM
Recommendations: 46
Patriotism doesn't render the Congressman stupid. His methods may conflict with Cheney's, but like Pelosi and Clinton and the leadership in the Democratic party they are smart enough not to repeat 1975. You do remember that, don't you?

Like it was yesterday. The Cincinnati Reds beat the Boston Red Sox in seven games in the greatest World Series ever played.

You guys crack me up. For years, you've been saying "Iraq's not Vietnam, Iraq's not Vietnam, Iraq's not Vietnam" and now, all of a sudden, we can't pull out because it'd be a repeat of our ignominious defeat in Vietnam.

Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080128 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 11:31 AM
Like it was yesterday. The Cincinnati Reds beat the Boston Red Sox in seven games in the greatest World Series ever played.

I don't know about all that.

Author: JoelCairo Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080163 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 1:17 PM

1975??

Hmm..and the President then was...a Democrat?

"Vietnamization" was a Democratic policy?

Richard Nixon reduced the US presence from a high of over 500,000 to less than 25,000 by 1972. Another ill-thinking Democratic policy imposed on a reluctant Republican President?

I guess under this logic, this person is not only now admitting the link between Iraq and Vietnam, he is arguing that we should have maintained the 500,000 troops in Vietnam indefinitely.

Because that was the only way -- long term -- that peace and a friendly government would be brought to the people of South Vietnam, and therefore any level of blood-letting that was being sustained in 1969 was justifiable because the alternative was so much worse.

These people have their heads in a sun-deprived place.

Author: ghdude Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080177 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 2:20 PM
Recommendations: 2
There's exactly one Iraq war veteran in Congress, 33-year-old Rep. Patrick Murphy, a Democrat. Murphy volunteered for combat on September 12, 2001, and was an officer in the 82nd Airborne. Nineteen men were killed in his brigade.

Not to tarnish his service... just wanted to clarify. CPT Murphy did not volunteer for combat. He was a JAG attorney. What he did do that was very impressive was prosecute so very bad men over there. And because CIS was not able to provide support, he apparently oversaw the investigation and interrogation of these people.

Here's the details behind his bronze star.

http://www.murphy06.com/sheets/m06_bronze-star-info.pdf

Again, just a clarification. I have much respect for any attorney with jump wings.

Derek

Author: ggiovanni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080183 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 2:41 PM
Recommendations: 4
I will vote for the one that can deal most effectively with Iraq and the global war against the ideologues of hate.

Well, I think what we all can agree on is that if Bush Jr was up for re-election in 2008, he would not be the one to deal the most effectively with Iraq and the global war against the ideologues of hate.

Iraq was not even a problem in 2003, they had no WMD's and Al-queda had no presence there prior to our attack. Now there is civil war/anarchy in Iraq, al-queda has a major presence and the war is not even close being won. Add to this that bush has not told the American people how his war in Iraq is to be funded. Needless, to say, there will be a major tax increase coming.

We need a leader that our allies doesn't despise or hate. We need someone that can build coalitions a la Bush Sr or Clinton. Needless to say, Bush Jr has done our country such a disservice that this major never be fixed.

Author: jakalant Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080208 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 3:58 PM
Add to this that bush has not told the American people how his war in Iraq is to be funded.

Let alone, won.

There is no comaparison between this and any other foriegn p[loicy blunder that tis country has ever made. This is what hapens when you have business majors running the country as opposed the curious sort of person that might have said, when exposed to Barbara Tuchman's writings might have said: "I should read that."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guns_of_August

Jack

Author: TheCrusader Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080252 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 7:30 PM
"President Bush and Vice President Cheney have called me and my colleagues unpatriotic for that vote," says Murphy. "With all due respect to Mr. Cheney who had -- what was it? -- better things to do during Vietnam and got four deferments, I don't think he's in a position to question my patriotism."

Thats exactly right. In the militaristic soceity of the United States unless you have served you what right do you have to be an elected representative. None.

Why not go further unless you have served you shouldnt even be allowed to vote.

Silly Americans setting yourselves up for failure. The world just looks on and laughs at your ridiculous politics.

Author: huibs Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080254 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 8:05 PM
<<
Silly Americans setting yourselves up for failure. The world just looks on and laughs at your ridiculous politics.
>>

..perhaps, but we get the last laugh..

..our greenhouse gasses will leave your country a giant desert..

..cheers..

..huibs..

Author: FULLERKZ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080268 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 9:00 PM
Gio,

Your synopsis is good because it clearly highlights the fundamental differences in our interpretations of this war. It is being fought on many fronts as diverse as the Ethiopian Militia, Sudanese intelligencce, Algerian Army, CIA operatives in the Phillipines etc.

I partition you to simply look at this map.

http://www.infoplease.com/atlas/middleeast.html

You must remember why there was conflict in Bosnia and why President Clinton sent troops to that part of the globe to stop the genocide, or ethnic cleansing as it was often called. Never a problem before when the big red army was right there in the backyard. How different in a geography ruled by a murderous despot who created a paranoia and standard of life far worse than Iran. It hit me just as I was finishing up Mark Bowden's incredible book "GUESTS OF THE AYATOLLAH". His previous book "ROADWORK" was awesome as a compilation of much of his work, but he is best know for "BLACK HAWK DOWN" and "KILLING PABLO."

You may well be right about how this mess has deteriorated but the mismanagement came from the Pentagon...Bush43 is at their mercy for a large part of the situation. A democracy without strict Islamic governance at the front is the ideologues worst nightmare. If Iraq becomes another Turkey or Israel, they're all done.

Author: ghdude Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080273 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/22/2007 9:10 PM
Mark Bowden's incredible book "GUESTS OF THE AYATOLLAH". His previous book "ROADWORK" was awesome as a compilation of much of his work, but he is best know for "BLACK HAWK DOWN" and "KILLING PABLO."

I LOVE Mark Bowden. It's so rare you get journalists any more who write what happened without trying to put their own angle on things. He just tells the story, warts and all. I've met one of the men who was there. Most left the military by the time I had joined. He mentioned how he was a little embarrassed by something Mark had written but that's how it went down and he can't complain about that.

Derek

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1080466 of 1950235
Subject: Re: Three cheers for Rep. Patrick Murphy Date: 4/23/2007 12:00 PM
Not to tarnish his service... just wanted to clarify. CPT Murphy did not volunteer for combat. He was a JAG attorney. What he did do that was very impressive was prosecute so very bad men over there. And because CIS was not able to provide support, he apparently oversaw the investigation and interrogation of these people

He put on the uniform and served his country. That's more than Cheney ever did.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement