Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was a federal employee and had a TSP divided between government and C fund (S&P 500). I am separating and will need to do something with the money which is approximately $43,000.

I am trying to find ways to avoid the IRS % penalties and asking for your advice.

1. Traditional IRA?

Can I transfer it into a traditional IRA, then withdraw with less penalty than if I took the whole payment out of the TSP without an IRA?

2. Are there IRA's linked with mutual funds?

Can I transfer the amount into this type of IRA and still withdraw with less percentage in penalty?

I will need an answer very soon as once they receive the separation code, the money is released.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.