UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189962  
Subject: Thunderbird Question Date: 12/29/2012 3:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm fairly new to using Thunderbird as I was switching over from Outlook Express in anticipation a new computer. Now that I have the new computer with Windows 8, I'm need to get the info off the old computer and on to the new computer.

I found the directions for moving to a new computer and used the Easy Transfer wizard to get the files to the new computer. But I have no idea how to use them to set up Thunderbird on the new computer and apparently am not using the right key words to search for how to do so. Can anyone point me to how to do this?

Thanks.

Rose
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183129 of 189962
Subject: Re: Thunderbird Question Date: 12/29/2012 4:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Rose before you get too far into TB, you might want to think about the future. Mozilla has stated they are abandoning TB in terms of future development.

I don't know what email Win8 has, but be assured Microsoft has something. HotMail exists as does Gmail.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183131 of 189962
Subject: Re: Thunderbird Question Date: 12/29/2012 4:58 PM
Recommendations: 1
Have you downloaded the latest version and installed it on your Windows 8 computer?

Do that and then use the transfer wizard to move the files.

Rip

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183135 of 189962
Subject: Re: Thunderbird Question Date: 12/29/2012 6:23 PM
Thanks, Gordon.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. I liked Outlook Express because I could easily switch between email addresses - mine, his, ours and a couple others and it appears that TB lets me do the same thing.

I haven't really looked at what Win8 has for email, but I don't want new email addresses. I want to use our current addresses and since we have a fair amount of saved emails that we want access to, I need to get the current email off the old computer and onto the new one.

TB makes it sound like it's easy, but I'm apparently missing a step.

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183137 of 189962
Subject: Re: Thunderbird Question Date: 12/29/2012 6:27 PM
Thanks, Rip.

Yes, downloaded and installed. And used the transfer wizard to move the files. But I think I'm missing a step because I can't figure out how to access them in TB on the Win8 machine. It's probably something simple that I'm missing.

Rose

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183142 of 189962
Subject: Re: Thunderbird Question Date: 12/29/2012 7:39 PM
I haven't really looked at what Win8 has for email, but I don't want new email addresses.

As long as you stick to email clients - as opposed to using your browser to access your email on someone's website - switching clients should not force you to change email addresses. All of the leading client software supports both the old POP3 protocol and the newer IMAP protocol.

If you're using at least one IMAP mail server, the easy way to move everything from one computer - or one client for that matter - to another is to, in the OLD environment, move all your mail folders to an IMAP server. Do that within the client software. It may take a while. Then you'll see everything in the new environment as well, and can move it back down to your local space if you want. (And yes you CAN do this a little bit at a time, if you have a space limit on the server.)

But to me, the fact that there will be no new-feature development on Thunderbird is probably a good thing. I have a number of other pieces of software that I really wish they would stop adding new features to for a while, and just make the existing stuff work properly and reliably. (Are you listening, Intuit?)

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183156 of 189962
Subject: Re: Thunderbird Question Date: 12/30/2012 5:00 PM
Thanks, everybody. I went to sleep last night thinking about what was going on and woke up this morning knowing what to do! TB is set up and archived emails are where I want them on the new computer.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183190 of 189962
Subject: Re: Thunderbird Question Date: 1/1/2013 11:56 AM
I went to sleep last night thinking about what was going on and woke up this morning knowing what to do! TB is set up and archived emails are where I want them on the new computer.

It's great that you solved your problem.

Why don't you share the solution so that the rest of us can benefit from your experience?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement