Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
((((thypeace))))

...Now that I've discovered this adverse reaction to dairy, my problem is similar but reversed. I have always preferred a low-meat diet, one that relied heavily on beans, grains, dairy, and soy. Without my extra sharp cheddar cheese and Greek yogurt, though, many semi-vegetarian meals are suddenly impossible or not interesting....

...I eat almost exclusively eggs for breakfast, but am pining for a good bowl of yogurt and fruit or a nice, creamy bowl of cornmeal mush made with milk and parmesan cheese. (I did buy goat's milk gouda at Trader Joe's two days ago, and have had several ounces of it with no ill effects. Hurrah!!!!!)...

Have you tried almond milk? Blue Diamond Almond Breeze has vanilla and unsweetened almond milk--only 40 calories a cup--I make tapioca and chocolate puddings with it all the time.

And do you have to give up beans and grains?

She referred me to the practice's dietitian and I will make an appointment with her on Monday. In the meantime, she told me to cut out sugar and all things simple-carbohydrate.

Frankly, I'm so frustrated with trying to control every bite I eat within an environment that peddles carbs and saturated fats over everything else that I have not been paying much attention. No dairy, no sugar, no flour, no rice, no potatoes? Yes, I know. It's incredibly healthy. Steamed veggies, raw fruit, grilled salmon, hummus, and quinoa every day for the rest of my life. Hur-freaking-ray.

No rice? No potatoes? No bread--not even wraps? sheesh. I think by 'simple carbs' she meant sugar-based stuff (probably still includes fruit, though I think the fiber would help mitigate the effects of the sugar). Complex carbs (starches) should still be okay--so that would mean rice and potatoes and even flour. Unless that messes with your blood sugar too?

I found some basic info here on simple vs. complex:

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/carbs.html

I totally understand your frustration--how on earth can you live on so much restriction? This dietitian has to give you something practical--something that's not overly limited in choices. And whatever she does, she better not recommend celery sticks for a snack.....('whenever you get hungry, just munch on some celery sticks which you've prepared the night before'....yeah, right. certainly I'd be able to pass up donuts using that advice)

UGH!!!! Best wishes. Don't be too hard on yourself.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement