UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: candiedapple01 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, or AIG? Date: 7/15/2004 6:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

My husband's new employer offers retirement savings through TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, and/or AIG. They require 10.5% salary contribution towards retirement and they also contribute 10.5%, which is a great deal for us. My question is, which of these companies would anyone recommend? Any advice? I have about $10,000 in TIAA-CREF that I am thinking of just keeping there but I'd like to check out these other two options as well if they might be more flexible or perform better.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Print the post Back To Top
Author: candiedapple01 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41608 of 76237
Subject: Re: TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, or AIG? Date: 7/15/2004 6:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I would also like to add that we would appreciate any advice on asset allocation (through any of the above companies)-- we are 27 and 31 years old and don't plan to retire for twenty-five to thirty years (fingers crossed).

Thanks!

Author: jbking Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41609 of 76237
Subject: Re: TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, or AIG? Date: 7/15/2004 7:03 PM
Greetings,

My husband's new employer offers retirement savings through TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, and/or AIG.

What are the options in each? I believe Fidelity has over 100 mutual funds and likely nearly as many variable annuities and other possibilities as well as having other stuff like brokerage accounts that I'm not sure what you actually have pick within that company. Similar for TIAA-CREF which of their funds and annuities are you looking at, considering, could choose, etc.

Regards,
JB

Author: gogreengo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41612 of 76237
Subject: Re: TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, or AIG? Date: 7/16/2004 1:03 PM
I would go with who has more funds to choose from, and who has index funds that look good. But I would also go to morningstar.com and check out the ratings on some of the funds from each family. We have my DH's 401k at Fidelity, and recently rolled over my old 401ks into a Fidelity IRA. We've been very happy with all the fund choices we have.

As far as allocation goes, you could do something like this:

5-15% bond funds (and maybe an REIT fund)
10-20% international stock funds
65-85% domestic stock funds (such as index funds)

Within your domestic stock funds, you could go with 50% large cap, 25% mid cap, and 25% small cap. That's similar to how we have done our portfolio. Good luck!

Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41613 of 76237
Subject: Re: TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, or AIG? Date: 7/16/2004 1:26 PM
I would check out your costs for participating in each of the plans. This would be in the area of expenses of the funds available and any administrative cost coming out of your investments into the plans. Secondly, I would look at the fund availability of each of the plans to see which ones you might be interested in. I wouldn't be as interested in the number of funds offered but the quality of the funds and whether they are candidates for your use. I would look especially for low cost broad based index funds.

Did you really mean that they "require" a 10.5 contribution? That seems very unusual as is a 100% match of the 10.5%. But if you can swing it that is a great plan. What is the maximum that can be contributed?

Bob

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41615 of 76237
Subject: Re: TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, or AIG? Date: 7/16/2004 3:08 PM

I like TIAA-CREF since I like index investing. Also, if socially responsible investing interests you, their Social Choice (?) fund has a unique approach to SR investing.

AIG & Fido are good companies, but I would vote for TIAA-CREF.

buzman

Author: candiedapple01 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41623 of 76237
Subject: Re: TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, or AIG? Date: 7/17/2004 6:06 PM
Thanks for all your advice,

I don't know exactly what is offered with each-- I know with my old retirement plan (TIAA-CREF) I had money invested in broad categories such as Global Equities, Stock, Growth, etc and not in individual stock. I'm fairly happy with TIAA-CREF but of course I don't have a lot of other companies to compare them to-- however, I do appreciate the input on Fidelity and will look into possibly splitting my contributions between them both. I will also investigate the cost of having accounts in each (is it necessarily true that nonprofits might have lower costs associated with their funds?).

The employer is University of Nevada and it is unusual (the first time I had heard of this) that they require mandatory contributions. I think beyond that, you can contribute whatever you want up to your yearly maximum (like 14-15000?). However, we have other debts to pay off before pursuing that kind of luxury. It is the best deal, that they match 10.5%! My former employer only paid 5% into retirement but they did not require contributions from me, either.

I haven't heard anything about AIG but I've read that it is already quite large and possibly has limited room for growth, but this info would affect its stock more than its reliability as an investment company? I don't know... I think I'd prefere to keep things simple and stick with TIAA-CREF only or a combo of TIAA-CREF and Fidelity after reading the responses.

I'll keep checking back but thanks for all your help!

Author: SisypheanFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41624 of 76237
Subject: Re: TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, or AIG? Date: 7/17/2004 6:22 PM
Wow, cool! How'd you get those candied apples to appear next to your name?
(looks like a red delicious, golden delicious and a granny smith that got candied)

<Congrats on your Foolish anniversary 'loons>

Author: dimdem Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41625 of 76237
Subject: Re: TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, or AIG? Date: 7/18/2004 3:38 PM
I'm a happy TIAA-CREF customer, and was very disappointed that in my state (VA) the social choice fund is no longer an option for state employees. I teach business ethics, and like to talk to my students about the moral obligations of investors. It was nice to be able to tell them that much of my own money went to that kind of fund. Anyway, I can't compare TIAA-CREF to the other companies, but they've never given me reason to complain.

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41639 of 76237
Subject: Re: TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, or AIG? Date: 7/19/2004 2:58 PM
TIAA CREF has done a great job for a long time with the money they handle for Universities. There have different funds - it is not as simple as it used to be. I urge you to look at the total of all fees for both. In any one short period I suspect AIG or TIAA-CREFF could beat the other. But over a long period the difference between a total of all fees, expenses, charges, etc. of 1% can be huge.

Gordon
Altanta

Author: candiedapple01 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42077 of 76237
Subject: Re: TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, or AIG? Date: 8/26/2004 12:05 AM
Dear all,

My husband chose TIAA-CREF and we're comfortable with the decision. Thanks for all your input!

As for the candied apple next to my name, I can't see it (don't know HOW I did it) but I'm glad it's there :-)

Author: SisypheanFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42111 of 76237
Subject: Re: TIAA-CREF, Fidelity, or AIG? Date: 8/30/2004 2:06 PM
As for the candied apple next to my name, I can't see it (don't know HOW I did it) but I'm glad it's there :-)

Well, actually, it was your balloon bouquet for your Foolish anniversary.

Scroll down under the heading of Lucky Charms on this page to see what they look like.
http://www.fool.com/community/whatsnew/whatsnew.htm#lucky

I'd expect that you and your DH will be happy with your choice. I've heard and read only good things about TIAA-CREF from those that qualify.

Good luck!
Keith

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement