UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jtmitch Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740877  
Subject: Re: A dentist speaks out. Date: 7/7/2000 8:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
tiedyetriguy wrote I can attest to the enjoyment of a 30 hour work week which creates a much greater
sense of balance in my life today.

Previously walking the routine treadmill of a 'normal' 40 hour work week, I feel
fortunate that 1) I made the discovery that more free time was more valuable than
more money, and 2) my workplace allows the flexibility to choose parttime or
fulltime hours.

Interesting..... Last night I was filing some mutual fund statements in my big 3 ring binder and I happened to reread my "Financial/Life Objectives" statement which I last updated in 1997 and which is in the front of the binder. One of the bullets says "be financially able to revert to a lower key/part-time job by age xx while maintaining an annual income of $YY without dipping into investments which will be allowed to continue to grow even if it's not possible to add to them regularly." I beat the "revert to a lower key piece of it by several years and fortunately I am still able to salt away a good chunk of money each month. However, I'd love to be able to figure out how to move to the part-time scenario for the last two years or so. My sense is that it is generally easier for a self-employed professional to do so, since they appear to have more control over their hours. Perhaps that's also possible for software techies. Any hints or success stories out there from those who have successfully negotiated their way from full-time to part-time jobs while working for fairly traditional organizations?

jtmitch
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Burger King's Play Not For Taxes?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement