UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127318  
Subject: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/6/2012 7:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi, all,

I did buy a house finally, about three weeks ago I closed on it. There's an added on bathroom which was carpeted over the original concrete slab; it contains a large Jacuzzi, but no shower. I'm definitely tearing up the carpet, but I'm uncertain of what to put down. I know that ceramic tile would wear better in a rental property, but I'll want to add a shower before I move into the house in a few years. I'd hate to do the tile now and then come back and tear it up to relocate stuff. I've thought of luxury vinyl tiles but they'll cost about as much as the ceramic.

I really can't afford to do the remodel that it would take to add a shower right now.

Can y'all share some ideas with me on how to do this, or what might be a good way to go?

Thanks, Rita
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122436 of 127318
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/6/2012 7:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Have you looked into the sheet vinyl?

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122437 of 127318
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/6/2012 8:24 AM
Recommendations: 4
Ceramic tile doesn't have to be expensive, you can find 1' squares for as little as $1 sometimes at the home stores. If you're hiring this then your biggest cost is going to be labor, which is also true of one piece linoleum, carpet, wood, or other solutions.

There is also no reason you can't put down tile with an eye toward expansion in the future. Do the room as it sits, but buy enough to do the additional space later and put the excess in storage (along with another 10% for breakage or repair.) You have to buy the extra at the same time so the dye lot will match. And you can't pre-buy the grout, because it only lasts about 6 months before moisture ruins it, so buy a very popular color and brand so that you can get it again a year or whenever in the future.

(I did this in my kitchen in our Boston condo when it had w2w carpeting in the adjoining room. When it was time to remove the carpet I added another 4x12 tiles to "enlarge" the kitchen; matched perfectly.) Plan for the expansion by putting the tiles in a configuration to "continue" the tiling at a later date. Even if there's an irregular bend or two it's a simple matter to grind out the grout and chip away at a couple pieces, then continue the full tile run.

You could do cheaper vinyl/linoleum tiles, then cover most of it with a throw rug, which would look decent. The plus is that self stick tiles are simple to install, and if a tenant ruins the rug, well, they're cheap and you just throw it away and get another.

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122438 of 127318
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/6/2012 8:31 AM
What do you think would be the essiest thing to remove later? I think flooring is the hardest thing to remove.

I would think the tiles would be a pia to remove for the remodel.

Carpet is the easiest to me...unless the glue down kind was installed.

I'd be tempted to paint a slab, but I've never lived where those are used.

Jean

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122439 of 127318
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/6/2012 9:14 AM
Jean,

I thought about painting or staining the concrete, but the more I read about it, the more scared-off I became. It takes a good deal of prep and drying time, and I just don't really have the time to do it.

Goofy, I like your idea of saving tile. I have looked at the luxury vinyl tile, and it's about as expensive as a cheap ceramic. I will have to have it done, I don't think I'm up to learning how to tile at the same time I'm trying to get the rest of the house painted. I don't have much help, so it's easiest to just hire it at the same time I get the other carpeting replaced.

Looks like my best bet might be to just put really cheap ceramic in there right now, and plan on just tearing it all up when I get ready to remodel, or follow your suggestion of buying extra tiles. I'll have to look at the prices.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Rita

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122441 of 127318
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/6/2012 10:14 AM
my best bet might be to just put really cheap ceramic in there right now, and plan on just tearing it all up when I get ready to remodel.

Before you do that, I suggest you buy about 4 square feet of tile, install them and "practice" removal. This is not easy.

Removing individual vinyl tile is also problematic. If you really cannot use the final tile now, I second the suggestion of vinyl roll goods. Generally this get "stuck" down by double sticky tape at the edges of the room. While install in not rocket science, it is possible to mess up. One idea to consider is removing any shoe molding (aka quarter round). That way is your room is not perfectly square (and few are) you don't have to worry about cutting the sheet to exactly match the room shape.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122442 of 127318
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/6/2012 10:29 AM
The flooring people tell me that I'm throwing money away by putting sheet vinyl into a rental house, that it will inevitably get torn up easily. There is a little quirk to this bathroom, too, because there is a large whirlpool tub in this bathroom which is built onto a raised platform, so the flooring material has to go up the platform, too.

Guess I'll look again at pricing, maybe see about hiring a painter to paint the concrete if I don't think I can do it myself?

It would be a lot easier if this was (1) just going to be a rent house or (2) just going to be my house!

Rita

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122443 of 127318
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/6/2012 11:58 AM
Looks like my best bet might be to just put really cheap ceramic in there right now

Cheap tile doesn't have to look cheap. I had four rooms done in my father's house when he was selling it, and I got very inexpensive tile at Home Depot which looked like a million bucks when done. (I hired the jobs done because I had just hurt my back and I couldn't spend that much time hunched over. The guy from HD did an excellent job, and was half the price of a "custom tile" place. I got 12x12, 6x6, 16x16, and 2x2 for the four different rooms. All different colors and textures, of course.)

and plan on just tearing it all up when I get ready to remodel,

It can cost almost as much to tear it up as to install, depending on the mastic and how it adheres to the subfloor (in your case concrete.) I'm told that sometimes it's easy. I've done it twice and it wasn't. You need a mostly (not perfectly) smooth base to lay another course, so there can be a lot of angst getting back to the base. (Unless you tile over tile; not recommended but I have done it without problem.)

Go to the store, buy one box of tile, come home, open the box carefully, lay out the tile on top of the floor that's there. Space them apart as though there was grout there, you'll get an excellent idea of what your bathroom will look like with 'cheap' tile. If it works, go buy more immediately (same dye lot.) Buy enough for the future, *including* another extra 10% because you may find a couple of broken tiles in the middle of a box two years from now, or somebody may drop a vase or soap holder and crack a tile already in place, so you want to have some repair materials.

If you don't like it, return the box and try again.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122444 of 127318
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/6/2012 12:31 PM
There's an added on bathroom

If the bathroom was added on, then obviously it wasn't always part of the house. Could you rent the house as it used to be, without the bathroom? If so, you could lock it and not make it available to tenants, leaving its upgrade to when you move in yourself.

--fleg

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122446 of 127318
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/6/2012 3:08 PM
maybe see about hiring a painter to paint the concrete

Before you paint the concrete, read the instructions for what ever you think you want in the future. I would not be surprised to see the mastic instructions for tile say it does not work on painted floors.

Regarding the comment about vinyl being a waste of money - I have used vinyl for 15 years on a floor - the last 10 of which was rental.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122447 of 127318
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/6/2012 5:45 PM
Recommendations: 1
I'd say you just have to get over the fact that whatever you put down now you're going to have to redo (either partially or completely) when you remodel in the future.

Since the future is uncertain at best, I'd just do whatever makes the most sense for the rental for now. So I'd start by asking why you're replacing the carpet in the bathroom. Is there something wrong with it? Since there's a concrete slab underneath, you don't have the issues that many people do who have a wood sub-floor. You're not going to ruin the concrete by getting it wet.

So, can you keep the carpet? Can you replace the carpet with another carpet?

If not, then go with whatever you find that is cheap and serviceable for a rental. And resign yourself to the fact that you're going to have to redo some or all of the floor down the road if you get the chance to remodel.

--Peter

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122452 of 127318
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/7/2012 6:36 PM
Peter, good point. I thought the same thing myself, actually: what if I don't ever get around to doing a shower? And who knows what might happen.

That said, I think I'll go with GH's idea of buying extra. Gordon, I'm ok with sheet vinyl, too, and I have it at my current home. The pricing though isn't much different as far as labor goes from putting in the tile, so I may as well do tile.

Oh, and Peter, the carpet that is in there is starting to mildew and it looks awful. I personally don't like the thought of carpet in a bathroom, so I'd rather have tile that can be mopped.

I think I'll plan ahead and buy some extra. It won't cost that much more,

I do appreciate all the ideas, though,

Rita

Author: akck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 122459 of 127318
Subject: Re: Tile floor now, add shower later? Date: 10/8/2012 12:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
One thing to keep in mind is where will the plumbing needs to go for the shower. If you end up needing to make a run right through the center of your tile, it might not be worth it to buy extra. It might be easier to rip it all out and start over. If you haven't already done so, it would be worth it to have a plumber come in to determine your plumbing run for the shower. While there might be plumbing close to your intended shower location, code may require an independent run or larger pipe be run.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement