No. of Recommendations: 0
Tim, you asked:

I want to set up Education IRA's for my kids but I'm not sure of the correct path. Is this similar to a regular/Roth IRA, where I could do a self-directed type thing at a discount broker? If so, I assume I would just contact them, tell them I want to establish an Education IRA account, shuffle the appropriate paperwork, then pick the stocks?

See my Foolish Retirement Plan Primer at for some info on EIRAs. The $500 limit per child per year means not many brokers will handle these IRAs. Nevertheless, for those who do there is no reason at all that they can't be established as a self-directed account. Like you said, it's just a matter of contacting the broker to set up the accounts for each child.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.