UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: StillRunkle Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37588  
Subject: Time For a Rant Date: 9/26/2001 11:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 16
My idiotic relatives are driving me nuts. I have been hearing over and over again "I hope you don't get activated!" (usually in a whiney voice). There is usually no mention of my son, since it hasn't occurred to them that he is subject to the same thing as a Guardsman. Oddly enough, they can't believe that my son could actually get called up even though he's in the National Guard (the relatives still think he's in kindergarten I guess) What's annoying about this is several levels:
- I'm 45 years old, one son is grown, the other is almost there
- I'm a rear-echelon you-know-what
- I knew what I was in for years ago when I decided to go in the military, first active and then Guard/Reserves
- the country has been attacked!

One relative said she was going to pray I wouldn't get activated. Why? So someone else would? I suppose I should take this as a sign of caring, but I don't - it annoys me to no end. I told my sister about my feelings on this, and she understood. I just wish the other relatives would. Am I being unreasonable about this? I suppose so, but I'm still annoyed.

George

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fauzi Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9757 of 37588
Subject: Re: Time For a Rant Date: 9/27/2001 12:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Yeah, I hear ya--and I'm even active duty already. But I've also had some pleasant surprises.

I stopped by the mall (in BDUs) on the way home from work the other day to pick up a couple things I'd been forgetting. While I'm there, I decide to grab some food at the food court. While I'm reaching for my wallet, a woman walks up to the cashier, pays for my meal, and says "God bless you. Keep us safe." Then she just disappears again.

It's too bad it takes such a crisis for those of us in uniform to finally be appreciated by so many. But hey, I'll take what I can get--it's a good feeling.

The Philly cheesesteak was good, too ;)

--Fauzi (a very busy Arabic linguist)

Author: 1flyer One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9758 of 37588
Subject: Re: Time For a Rant Date: 9/27/2001 8:16 AM
Recommendations: 0

No, you are not unreasonable. I went through the same thing with Desert Shield/Desert Storm. People that have never been involved with the military in defending this country will probably never understand the commitment of those that have. Freedom isn't free, you have to earn it all the time.

Good Luck to you and your Son.........

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9760 of 37588
Subject: Re: Time For a Rant Date: 9/27/2001 10:08 AM
Recommendations: 6
My idiotic relatives are driving me nuts.

Patience, George ;-)

So many people don't know what to think any more, or never thought about what it means to be a target, or the role of the disparate pieces of the military in a world that changes daily.

Sure, we know we have an active military charged with our primary defense, and Reserve and NG forces that are really handy in sudden emergencies. What the Reservists and NG people always knew is what is stunning their friends and family now: you are still, and always have been soldiers. The general population always thought of you as literally in reserve; only used in a last ditch effort or on our own soil, or in limited engagements.

Don't be bitter. Your courage and dedication to duty is unquestioned. The magnitude of this new conflict hasn't yet been realized by many people. Once that denial is passed, your family will pray you serve with honor, as I know you will.

Best Regards,
Richard

Author: gslts Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9761 of 37588
Subject: Re: Time For a Rant Date: 9/27/2001 10:32 AM
Recommendations: 1
George,
I applaud you and your son. I am now past my 30 but have not hit 55 yet. I have been looking to see if I can come back. My rate is in a critical shortage in the Navy, but not bad enough to bring the retired back, yet.

People are going to have to realize that freadom is not free. We have had to work hard and fight to maintain it, and that will never change. My family runs the gambit as well. My younger brother left the country during Viet Nam, and I went 3 times. My father admits to being a coward, but he did serve in WWII.

I hope you can explain to your family why you and your son may be required to serve.

Todd

Author: navy58 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9762 of 37588
Subject: Re: Time For a Rant Date: 9/27/2001 11:55 AM
*****--Fauzi (a very busy Arabic linguist) *****

Fauzi,

Fi amman allah...

Kevin

Author: Scheller Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9763 of 37588
Subject: Re: Time For a Rant Date: 9/27/2001 1:09 PM
Recommendations: 5
George,

I'll pray for you too. But not for the idea that you won't get deployed; I'll pray that if you're deployed that you'll have the calmness to continue doing the great job that you've done in the past while keeping safe. You inspect and repair those runways and us dumb-boy aviators will appreciate it.

I faced this before also but without your paternal twist. My immediate thought was: George doesn't have enough stress in his life? He has to worry about cancelling all plans for retirement, preparing himself for possible deployment, preparing subordinates, preparing his spouse and immediate family for his departure but NOW he also has to worry about more distant relatives? People who mean well but don't realize that what they are saying is "please don't go. Send someone else in you stead."

One of the most sorrowful and prayer-filled months I had was a few months after I met my 'replacement' as I left my unit at Ft. Bragg. I left for Korea and this young, still wet behind the ears kid took my place. Three months later Saddam went looking for Lebenraum and the young kid deployed in my stead with "MY" aircrew. That was stressfull. You and I know that for every one of us seasoned and prepared guy or gal who don't go a younger and less prepared guy or gal fills that slot.

So how do we balance all of these stresses; all of this different strings tugging us in different directions? I surely don't know but I usually felt much better after talking to my "peacenik & left-wing" older sister (rest her soul) than I did after talking to my older "redneck" but never served in the military brother. Debbie would call and just talk and say that she was glad I answered the phone; that she would call back in a few days to talk again (and she did).

Peace to you Brother! (I mean mental peace.)

Scheller

Author: hippomotomus Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9765 of 37588
Subject: Re: Time For a Rant Date: 9/27/2001 2:41 PM
I have a similar thing going on. I am a SSgt in the Air Force, and so id my husband. I am deployable, and in a mobility shop, my husband is not deployable (medical waiver). However, when family calls, he is the only one they worry about. "Is Josh going anywhere?" they ask. They assume that since I am female, I am not going. *SIGH*

Author: StillRunkle Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9768 of 37588
Subject: Re: Time For a Rant Date: 9/27/2001 3:19 PM
I surely don't know but I usually felt much better after talking to my "peacenik &
left-wing" older sister (rest her soul) than I did after talking to my older "redneck" but never served in the military brother. Debbie would call and just talk and say that she was glad I
answered the phone; that she would call back in a few days to talk again (and she did).

It's the same for me - my sister was a peacenik and left winger in her day. However, she doesn't fill the phone conversation with "I hope they don't call you" or "I'd go over there in kick old Osama's butt myself if I was in the military ________ (fill in the excuse for not joining originally here).

George

Author: TRGarner Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9777 of 37588
Subject: Re: Time For a Rant Date: 9/27/2001 11:49 PM
Recommendations: 4
Isn't funny, when I joined in '91 (so I'm a young fart!), my mother broke down in tears b/c the Persian Gulf Video Game was running 24-7.

Now that this has happened, she is still in tears! :)

It is funny b/c I'm Active Duty and will go where my orders tell me to go, if I didn't want to be in harms way, then I'd be flipping burgers at BK or something like that.

This was and is my choice, I'm happy and am satisfied w/ my decision and I hope to do the Uniform proud.

Author: tdniceley Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9781 of 37588
Subject: Re: Time For a Rant Date: 9/28/2001 1:27 PM
Just remember to write her every week or she will hunt you down.
Trust me, happened to me in Spain.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement