UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: yttire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 418  
Subject: Time for prizes Date: 8/1/2006 8:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

I have been planning on going through the old ports (that is, all of the ports which were started, but not updated regularly) and posting their results. I wanted to do this mostly for selfish reasons: what were the spreads of the various ports? What strategies worked from a perspective of just letting them run? What had the highest and lowest return? Etc.

However, my job has been in serious crunch mode so I have been in here on weekends and late at night frequently, leaving my spare time dedicated to hanging out with kids and so forth. Therefore, I haven't taken up the effort to go through all of those old ports.

I wanted them (the original participants) to get a chance to win the contest. Anyway, it is open for nominations (just post who you think should win, and why). I have my own idea of course, and if no one nominates anyone, I guess that individual will receive all the kudos and fame and glory (and a few bucks).
Print the post Back To Top
Author: blackjs One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 399 of 418
Subject: Re: Time for prizes Date: 8/2/2006 12:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I really gave up on my 2005 challenge portfolio due to time constraints. It is seriously in the red as of today. I might have done worse or better if I had tended it--who knows? It is a clear warning that a portfolio that is not tended needs to have stop loss orders in place. I am willing to accept the booby prize if one is awarded.

I will take time in the near future to figure out what happened to the portfolio recommended a year ago by Smart Money. That's a much easier task since it just involves a few funds and, again, the interest on the money market account.

Author: basilkruglov Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 400 of 418
Subject: Re: Time for prizes Date: 8/6/2006 12:55 PM
Like blackjs, I too did not time to track and update my portfolio; according to my rough estimate, my end results are quite terrible :(

annualized return is about -3.02% vs. S&P 500 which is +7.99% (annualized); or -11.02% in comparison.

top 5 best positions are:
1. deck 73.28%
2. aph 39.86%
3. hydl 28.83%
4. mcd 26.01%
5. mo 21.74%

top 5 worst positions are:
1. mrh -48.88%
2. mpx -42.43%
3. faro -39.31%
4. intc -33.90%
5. gtrc -32.98%

Few lessons learned

1. small cap exposure should (or must) be limited for retirement type of portfolios. One should not rely on small caps unless you have a significant experience in that area. Investing in small caps requires to be very focused.

2. I also believe that for retirement, one's portfolio should be composed of dividend paying stocks with limited downsize, i.e. those that were purchased at a significant discount (at least to their historic valuations)

3. volatility is not a friend of someone who is retired or about to retire; one would need a strong stomach / stamina to take it -- retirement should be fun, not a mind/stomach torture. These stocks my recover and perhaps produce phenomenal results, but over longer, or perhaps much longer period of time. Investment horizon of a retired individual is way different.

4. ETFs tracking major indices should do just fine, they take off the pressure of having to choose individual stock holdings.

Regards,
-Basil

Author: invertirmenor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 401 of 418
Subject: Re: Time for prizes Date: 8/6/2006 7:36 PM
I would do mine but hAlf of them were either bought out or merged with someone :-/.

Author: dusty2004 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 404 of 418
Subject: Re: Time for prizes Date: 8/8/2006 10:35 AM
yttire:

I leave it up to your discression as to who wins this contest. It is / was you contest so I think you have the right to choose the winner. If it is me I would ask that you donate the money to a local food bank.

Dusty

Author: dusty2004 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 407 of 418
Subject: Re: Time for prizes Date: 10/10/2006 11:28 AM
yttire:

Did you ever pick a winner?

Dusty

Author: yttire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 408 of 418
Subject: Re: Time for prizes Date: 10/10/2006 4:18 PM
I'll post an update soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Sadly, my own real portfolio analysis is similarly being delayed due to excessive work (which is perhaps, just an excuse, but this is the busiest quarter of the year for my job).

I have to say I am influenced by "gut" feelings in analysis, more than just the raw return.. perceived mitigated risk equals higher accolades. Despite the high return of my own port it was too see sawy for what I would want in an actual retirement portfolio.

I begin to see why people delay retirement, perhaps indefinitely, to pad their cushion to ever larger values.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement