No. of Recommendations: 122
With all due respect to the deep knowledge and technical subtlety of the statistically Wise, there comes a time when every self-proclaimed expert must prove the power of his theory. I know this from personal experience, having been called to prove my statistical mettle several times. It was a sobering experience each time, and I learned a lot.

Therefore, on behalf of the long-suffering members of this board, who have waded through an apparently endless thread of statistical claim and counter-claim, I call the question.

Can you, ____[fill in the blank]____, do any better than we have already done at Mechanical Investing? More specifically, can you:

(a) use your knowledge of research design and statistical analysis to design and carry out a research program that yields at least one profitable investing strategy, and

(b) show us through rigorous statistical argument and quantitative testing on at least 15 years of real data why this new strategy is better than the majority of our published screens?

Failing this, could you at least suggest an interesting investing strategy, test it on a few years of recent data, and present intriguing arguments in its favor?

We will be enthusiastically helpful if you do the latter, and absolutely ecstatic if you can do the former. We can place at your disposal the huge historical dataset compiled by Sux2BeU for exactly this research purpose, and we can offer moral support and technical help if needed. If you ask, you will find volunteers aplenty to help with the work.

Not everyone receives this invitation! You, however, have earned it. We hereby present it to you, with our blessings and best wishes for an immensely profitable investing career.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement