UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: billjohn4 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10381  
Subject: Time to upgrade Date: 4/15/2012 1:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
OK, the taxes are done, and I'm getting more frequent warnings from Intuit about upgrading. So do I...

1. Upgrade to 2012. If so, what is the best way to proceed, while protecting my considerable data (I haven't done a year-end file saving process since 2005).

2. Upgrade only to 2011. This was suggested in an earlier post, as the problems with 2012 are too great. If so, do I buy the 2011 version from Amazon?

Others' experience would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9954 of 10381
Subject: Re: Time to upgrade Date: 4/15/2012 3:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
option #1 (Upgrade to 2012)- Back up your data to a removable drive, install 2012 as instructed, convert your file to the new format (this will be part of the installation) and move on. You still have your 2009 version backup should anything go wrong. You might also save a "print screen" file of your homepage showing all your accounts and there balances before upgrading for comparison afterwards.

ps- I've never done a "year end" copy of my Q data.

option #2 (Upgrade to 2011)- Why bother? Yes you can save a couple dollars but you will need to upgrade again in two instead of three years. I've experienced NO PROBLEMS either with the upgrade to 2012 process or since.

YMMV,
Kurt

Author: jjaym Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9955 of 10381
Subject: Re: Time to upgrade Date: 4/19/2012 8:54 AM
Recommendations: 0
I've always used Quicken Deluxe. Now I see a Quicken Premier option as well. I also note that Quicken Deluxe does not list "Manage Investments and plan for tax time" among the capabilities. Just want to make sure, before I do the install, that I'm not losing anything important by staying with Quicken Deluxe rather than the more pricey Quicken Premier. Anybody know where I can find detailed info on what's included. Quicken site seems rather vague on what is actually included.

Thanks.

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9956 of 10381
Subject: Re: Time to upgrade Date: 4/19/2012 7:35 PM
I understand your confusion. Years ago I migrated from the deluxe version to premier for exactly the same reasons you stated. Now I'm hearing deluxe does handle investments. But I'm not sure if you can download directly from your broker or if you need to go through some other more complicated process. The premier version works fine for me and only cost maybe $10 more when you buy it mid/late cycle. I tend to make my purchase in February, after the early adopters yet before those who are looking to upgrade before losing the web features... I don't want to be a guinea pig but I am looking for a reasonable price.

I'm sure someone will chime in soon and shed some light on the deluxe versions capabilities.

Kurt

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9957 of 10381
Subject: Re: Time to upgrade Date: 4/20/2012 4:09 AM
I think the claim was that Deluxe won't do a capital gains report and Premier will. But I have Premier (2011) so I can't check whether Deluxe has the various capital gains reports or not.

Phil

Author: jjaym Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9963 of 10381
Subject: Re: Time to upgrade Date: 4/22/2012 8:23 PM
Thanks Kurt. As long as I can download quotes and track investments, I don't care about much fancy stuff. I'll just go with deluxe for the time being. I'm sure there will be an opportunity to upgrade, if it looks advantageous.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement