UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: XWordPhile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2163  
Subject: Tip: convert halogen to CF Date: 5/21/2007 8:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Here's a tip I got off another board. Seemed like a great idea, as I have half a dozen halogen torchieres. First, here's the link:

http://marcf4u.googlepages.com/convertatorchierelamptouseacfbulb

Like the author, I went to Home Depot. Unlike the author, I had a heck of a time finding what I needed. I did finally find the bulbs, and my HD doesn't carry shallow bulb sockets, so I got a standard one. I skipped the switch, since I have some lamps that don't use dimmers.

Anyway, first lamp I tried I just couldn't get the screws out. They must be glued in. Of course they were the very last screws in, so I then had to put everything back together. Second lamp I tried fared better, but the standard socket is just too tall. The bulb stuck out over the bowl and just looked bad. Sorry, but in this case looks are indeed more important than saving energy. So...had to take that lamp apart again and put it back together again.

I still haven't given up on this idea, but I'll need to find a shallow socket. And since I'm not in the habit of dropping into hardware stores, it might be a while. But thought I'd share this with others.

Ellen
Print the post Back To Top
Author: reikiman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2153 of 2163
Subject: Re: Tip: convert halogen to CF Date: 5/24/2007 11:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
He doesn't say whether it produces the same number of lumens or not.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement