Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: f1r3br4nd One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86575  
Subject: Tips on getting a better deal at hotels. Date: 1/6/2000 1:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
(at least, at the hotel where I moonlight)

1. Pay with a credit card. Fools don't like credit cards? Fair enough-- get a Visa check-card. We'll never say this officially, but we don't trust cash guests any further than we can throw them.

2. Make a reservation first-- many hotels offer AAA, AARP, Military, etc. discounts. If you happen to have forgotten to join one of these organization, it's harder to check over the phone and chances are the clerk won't bother asking for your member card number or whatever. Then, when you show up, the clerk on duty will just dutifully hit "ok" on whatever shows up on her computer screen (again without checking it) and swipe your card through. Voila, instant ~$10 discount.

3. We don't mind helping people, and we are usually cheerful. Make no mistake, though-- we're even happier when you don't bug us. If you're the customer from hell, don't be surprised when the front desk staff cheerfully and courteously refuse to do one iota more for you than company policy compells them to do. Conversely, sometimes I find myself giving people a discount just because they are friendly, easy going, and I don't think they'll make my job unnecesserily difficult. So, if you think you'll be needing a favour from the staff, try to not exhibit these traits:

a. Angry, irrational, or confrontational.
b. Slow reaction time (I hand you your room keys and you just stand there staring at me)
c. Calling or showing up at the front desk every 5 minutes all night long with frivolous or downright stupid requests.
d. Repeatedly asking for things that the hotel staff either cannot provide or is not allowed to (having to tell people 'no' is stressful and eventually the 'no' sayer starts to externalize the stress)

...in fact, these are probably behaviors to avoid when dealing with anybody in a service sector job. Since starting my night job, I've gotten a lot better at negotiating with clerks, phone operators, and of course hotel staff.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement